Thread: "Flaws" in WTR.

faredoon is offline Junior Member

Default "Flaws" in WTR.

Hi,

Consider these 2 articles on WTRs:

Philippines to warn would-be job-seekers:

'Frivolous' migrant visas shatter hopes, dreams

Personally, I think these are two big eye-opening articles about the reality of WTR, and enough to deter any migrant from actually availing of a WTR (which is true, sadly, in my case personally).
    I am assuming that migrants who are skilled are not desperate enough to leave decent jobs in their country and risk everything they have within the tiny nine-month timeframe that a WTR offers.
    The most important point in these articles is that of lack of continuity that the WTR introduces, i.e. employers are generally not keen on considering WTR applicants because of the strong possibility of expiration of the visa.

I think it's a little like this:

Originally, a PR applicant faced a chicken-and-egg problem - what came first, the PR of the job offer?
    To solve this problem, NZIS introduced another chicken-and-egg problem called a WTR which, unfortunately, has to be resolved by a skilled migrant within nine months.

So NZIS is actually saying this: "We don't know if the market is open enough for skilled migrants like you, and although we've taken a processing fee for evaluating your skills and work background, we're still not sure about that. So we'd like you to take this 9-month test called a WTR."

It's time NZIS realises that if at the end of the nine months a migrant hasn't found a job, although it's the migrant's failure to do so, it's also a collective failure.

dd311 is offline Junior Member

Default WTR to PR

I feel that the WTR policy is a win-win game for both the INZ and NZQA as the Asians applicants are, in fact, greasing the wheels of their machinery. I also feel that the INZ is running a covert policy of granting WTR to most South Asian origin applicants (without job offer), the Pilipino, Malaysians, Chinese, etc., notwithstanding of their IELTS score, qualification, experience, age and EOI point score thus putting their career at risk. Average waiting time for Asian applicants is turning out to be 1.5-2.0 years and they would spend almost the same amount of money that an American or British applicant would be asked to pay but the decision for most Asian applicants ( w/o job offer ) is likely to be different than the latter case.
    May I suggest here that if the above nationals are assumed to be miss-fit or struggling-community in NZ culture then immigration policy should explicitly state, from the outset, that all successful applicants belonging to X-Z country having no job offer will be offered 9-months WTR visa instead of PR right away, to secure a skilled employment in NZ which would help earn them PR. This will be a fair deal indeed but perhaps at the expense of revenues that INZ and NZQA are earning now. One will see a sudden drop in the number of Asian applicants as soon as the overt policy of WTR is announced by the INZ.

Anyway, I have already turned down the WTR invitiation as it seems that it is going to be a suicidal mission, with WTR visa, for me and my family losing everything in the end. God I have saved the amount of money that could have gone wasted in NZ.

faredoon is offline Junior Member

My thoughts exactly. Ideally should be an initial nominal fee for scrutinising applicants, and if not found to be fit their case should be closed immediately. It's high time NZIS and the dept. of labour wake up to the fact that the WTR program is completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by dd311 View Post
    I feel that the WTR policy is a win-win game for both the INZ and NZQA as the Asians applicants are, in fact, greasing the wheels of their machinery. I also feel that the INZ is running a covert policy of granting WTR to most South Asian origin applicants (without job offer), the Pilipino, Malaysians, Chinese, etc., notwithstanding of their IELTS score, qualification, experience, age and EOI point score thus putting their career at risk. Average waiting time for Asian applicants is turning out to be 1.5-2.0 years and they would spend almost the same amount of money that an American or British applicant would be asked to pay but the decision for most Asian applicants ( w/o job offer ) is likely to be different than the latter case.
    May I suggest here that if the above nationals are assumed to be miss-fit or struggling-community in NZ culture then immigration policy should explicitly state, from the outset, that all successful applicants belonging to X-Z country having no job offer will be offered 9-months WTR visa instead of PR right away, to secure a skilled employment in NZ which would help earn them PR. This will be a fair deal indeed but perhaps at the expense of revenues that INZ and NZQA are earning now. One will see a sudden drop in the number of Asian applicants as soon as the overt policy of WTR is announced by the INZ.

Anyway, I have already turned down the WTR invitiation as it seems that it is going to be a suicidal mission, with WTR visa, for me and my family losing everything in the end. God I have saved the amount of money that could have gone wasted in NZ.