Thread: Work Permit Family (Partnership) Stream - Evidence, Timeframe and Other Bits!!

Parssta is offline Junior Member

Default Work Permit Family (Partnership) Stream - Evidence, Timeframe and Other Bits!!

Hi there, my name is Stacey and I want to say I'm so glad I've found this forum! The advice seems very helpful and everyone seems very friendly :) Anyway I have a couple issues that I'm hoping someone will have the answers to! First of all my situation is as follows:

My fiance is a kiwi and I am from the UK. We have known each other for five years and have been a couple since May 2008. In the period between then and November 2008 we effectively lived together however I have no documentation for this as at the time was just easier to keep my name on the tenancy. My fiance proposed in Sept 08 and asked me to come to NZ with him. He came ahead of me in November 08 to look for work whilst I remained in the UK to try and sort out what permit I was eligible for, get rid of my apartment, save money for us etc. INZ then advised me that as I was not eligible for a work permit (not living together) I should come over on a WHV and then apply for a work permit after a few months of living together, and then in one year I would be eligible for residency.

So in May 09 I travelled here on a WHV. My first question is, How do I explain the separation to INZ? I have lots of evidence of phone calls/emails (daily!!) and how we kept in touch but I'm not really sure how to explain why we were living apart. It's basically because I had to sort out my visa and save money for us whilst my fiance went and got started trying to get into police force....would that be ok??

So we have now been living together for seven months and after amassing a fair amount of evidence (learnt my lesson there!) tenancy, joint bank a/cs, joint vehicle, photos, that sort of thing I have finished putting together my application for a work permit/multiple entry work visa (as I want to visit home) based on partnership. The problem that I'm having is that the evidence requirements are very vague and don't really tell me what INZ want. I rang up and they said all that stuff would be good but also a "relationship timeline" and "letters of support" would be very useful. That's all fine but I have no idea how to write this!! So I guess my question is exactly how do I write a relationship timeline? Are they expecting pages or...?? It's difficult to know what to say other than, we fell in love, we still are desparately in love, getting married next year and can't live without each other!! I know its all to prove that we are genuine but somehow when you aren't a romantic novelist and you write your relationship history down on paper it begins to sound very drab!! :P Also with the letters of support I have lots of people that would write them but what type of thing do they write?? I know I might sound really stupid but I am only 22 and have never lived out of UK before and finding this all really overwhelming and confusing!!

My WHV runs out at the end of May and I am really worried that I will not get my permit in time. INZ said the current wait is about 60 days, however I have heard that some people get theirs in two weeks and others two years. Plus I am still waiting on police clearance and letters of support before I can submit my application so I am looking at least another week before I can submit. I am also worried I will come across problems with regard to my medical, as although everything was fine I have a slight iron deficiency anaemia (which has since improved since I've been on iron tablets). I'm hoping they'll just ask for a repeat blood test like the doctor said, but I'm scared it might not be that simple. I am really worried as we really want to stay in NZ and although we would go back if we had to, we have really built a life here and I don't want to up and move again :( Even though I know our case is a lot better than some others i.e. we have documentation and are living together etc I feel really negative as the requirements are so stringent, maybe someone who has success through this route could give me some encouragement to keep going with this, as I feel like its taking over my life. Sometimes I wish I had known more about Immigration here then as my fiance never would have come ahead of me if we'd known we had to be living together to lodge the application.

Sorry for the drama, actually getting it off my chest has helped a bit. Anyway I would be really grateful for a suggestions or good stories that will help me,
    Thankyou SO much in advance,
    Stacey

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hey Stacey!

Don't worry, your situation is really simple and straight forward and you shouldnt have any problems getting your permit!

First of all, reason for being seperated : Just like you said! that s fine!
    I was in exactly the same situation, to be honest it s in the past and they don't care much about it anyway.
    For the visa you are about to apply for, they just want to know that you are living together right now!

Letters of support:
    Example:
    I have known .... & ..... since .... and have always known them to be a couple that is very much in love with each other.
    To my knowledge they are planning a future together and have no doubt that they are genuine.
    If you need further information please don't hesitate to contact me......

That s all they want from friends & family of either of u !

Relationship Timeline:
    That s just so that they can easily understand what is going on! not about a romantic story about your relationship.
    Simple (example):
    March 2008 till November 2008 we lived together in the UK , provide address etc
    November 2008 to March 2009 seperated, he was in NZ, you were in the UK
    March 2009 to current we are living in NZ, provide address again etc

This is just so that all the evidence you provide can easily be put to the dates, saves time for whoever works on your application.

Keep your application simple and short, with lots of evidence to the dates etc you provide.
    You should expect your application to take up to 3months so you are fine dont worry too much :)
    and anaemia is nothing to worry about either, it s a simple deficiency that can be corrected by changing your diet,
    nothing the government would have to fork out thousands of $ for :)

Good luck !!!!
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Stacey.

With this type of visa you don't need to have lived together for 12 months. I don't know why INZ don't inform people about this.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.

You should be able to get a work permit which will last until you can see your residency application through. You only need a few pieces of evidence that your relationship is genuine and stable so don't sweat too much on that issue. For the relationship timeline, if you just document your relationship briefly as a list, starting with the date (roughly) that you met and carry on from there, noting down dates that have been important in your relationship e.g. starting to live together, separating for various reasons, getting engaged, travelling together etc. Itemise it so INZ can quickly see that the relationship has been ongoing in different forms the whole time. Many people have found themselves having to separate from their partner for all sorts of valid reasons so INZ must be used to this. Just tell it as it is if they ask. If you need letters of support from family or friends, all they need to do is say that they have known you both as a couple for x number of months/years and believe your relationship to be genuine and enduring. Something along those lines. INZ isn't looking for a novel, just plain facts that they can skim through quickly to make their assessment.

How long has your WHV been for? If it was only 12 months, you can extend to 23 months to give you enough time to sort out your partnership application if you need extra time. You need to ensure that you are covered by a valid permit of some sort the whole time you are in NZ or it could be a problem for you. If all else fails, you could apply for a visitor permit if you are running short on time and can't get any other permit but you wouldn't be able to work on this.

*Applicants under this scheme who lodge their application for a working holiday scheme work visa or permit on or after 28 November 2005 can select either a 12-month or 23-month stay in New Zealand. Depending on the length of stay you choose you may be required to complete medical forms. There may be a renewable option for those who select a 12-month stay. Please refer to the Health section below for further details and to our questions and answers.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Parssta is offline Junior Member

Default Thankyou!

Thankyou so much guys that has really made things much clearer and also reassured me!! It seems a lot of people get accepted through living with their partner with WHV before they apply for their work permit, so hopefully I will too :)
    Oh and yes my WHV is for 12 months so if it takes a while for my work permit to come through thats good that I can extend it :)