Thread: What happens if you loose your job?

Kiwi-to-be is offline Junior Member

Question What happens if you loose your job?

I was wondering, letís say a that someone finds a job in NZ, gets a work visa, moves to NZ, starts working and after 2 months he/she looses his/her job due to the recession or whatever. What happens??? I mean Ė You still have your visa but, are they going to kick you out of the country or can you try to find another job? And how long can you be there without a job, while you are looking for another one?
    Does anyone know the answer?What happens if you loose your job?

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

If your work permit is unrestricted, you can look for another job, but you might have to be prepared to move to another part of the country to find a job. IF you can find a job. You can stay in the country until your work permit expires, or until you run out of money, which ever comes first. There is no safety net for migrants. Sadly, we have all read or heard about some gut wrenching cases of highly qualified migrants moving here with families, only to lose a job and send the whole family into poverty and crisis with no one to turn to for help.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

As 1HW says, these are difficult times and migrants losing their jobs due to the recession has, sadly, become a frequent occurrence. Many have had to return to their home country. The best option, of course, is to find another job a.s.a.p. but even this is proving difficult for many because of the large number of kiwis who have returned home from their overseas jobs that have gone in the recession.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.