Thread: Can I work in NZ and leave my husband who is the lead visa in the UK for 18 months?

Carts1976 is offline Junior Member

Default Can I work in NZ and leave my husband who is the lead visa in the UK for 18 months?

Hi

My husband and I were going to try for Perm residency in 2011/2012 and use his degree in engineering to get us in and find him a new job first. But I have been made redundant this month and we have decided that I could go to NZ in the next 2 months and find a perm job, but I work in recruitment and my skills are not on the shortage list.

I have explored the option of a Talent accredited scheme and there are a few recruitment agencys that are registered on this scheme. But to open my options further I need to be in NZ on a Perm visa.

We were thinking we could we use my husband as the lead application on the EOI and then perm visa, but then he would stay in the UK for about 18 months and travel out to see my a few times. I would travel out to NZ as soon as the visa is accepted and find myself a position in recruitment and my husband would look for a perm position and join me in 2011/2012. Can we do this? with him as lead on visa? or are there time scales when he must arrive and work? also would we need a reference from his current employer? as we would prefer they did not know about ourlong term plans until he finds a new job and hands in his notice.

Please help as I need to know which visa to apply for before I apply for jobs.

Thank you

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

When someone is granted PR, they have 12 months to activate their residency permit by entering New Zealand. If the visa is granted with no other conditions, then activating PR within the 12 months will get a permit and a 2 year returning residents visa (RRV). Within the first 2 years, you must spend at least 6 in every 12 months within NZ to be granted an indefinite returning visa. If this doesn't happen, INZ will look at the circumstances and either issue another temporary RRV, or decline a further visa.

If the visa is granted with conditions, such as you must find employment within 3 months (known as a Section 18a) then there is no choice but to find employment within NZ in that time, else have the residency canceled.

Unfortunately, you don't know whether conditions will be imposed until you are actually granted PR so you would really be trying your luck.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carts1976 View Post
    I have explored the option of a Talent accredited scheme and there are a few recruitment agencys that are registered on this scheme. But to open my options further I need to be in NZ on a Perm visa.
    Depending on how many points your husband could apply with, it could take anything up to a year before PR was granted so you wouldn't necessarily have that option available to you if you want to go to NZ in the next couple of months. The alternative to what Taffy says and going along with what you say, is if you apply for your own visa. If you could get a job offer with an accredited employer you could maybe apply for a Work to Residence visa and get there under your own steam. Then, when your husband is ready, he could submit his application for residency. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to suggest because, if you have job skills that a kiwi can do equally well, you probably wouldn't be able to apply for a temporary work visa.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Thanks for the info and response, one last question?

Hi,

Thanks Mother Bear and Taffy for your info, it is very helpful in regards to my decision on which visa to go for. I think my option is the Work to residence visa and then when my husband is ready he apply's for perm.

Do you know if there is a list of company's that are on the Talent accredited scheme please?

Thank you again

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carts1976 View Post
    Do you know if there is a list of company's that are on the Talent accredited scheme please?
    There is a link to this included in the accredited employers link I posted above but, to save you looking, this is it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi MotherBear,

Sorry I noticed this link straight after replying to your thread.

Thanks again