Thread: work permit family question

tangye is offline Junior Member

Default work permit family question

Hi All,

it's been a while since I was here, it took ages to sell the house, anyway my position is as follows;
    House sold - money in the bank
    Contacted by a company ref a job in NZ, not guaranteed but a good chance
    Wife about to register as a nurse in NZ - all paperwork done, police check, ILETS, etc

I have enough points to submit an EOI but as this seems to take a while I was considering once(if) I get the job offer to apply for a work permit and submit the EOI once in NZ.

My question is can I include my wife and 2 young children on this permit and will they be allowed to stay as long as I'm working up to the point that we gain PR? I have read some conflicting stuff about this and am confused

Any help greatly appreciated

Tangye

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome back Tangye.

Getting a work permit is a quicker way to get to NZ and start work if you have a job offer. As you want to progress on to residency, you could look at this . It's about working your way to residence and states that you need to work for 2 years before you can get PR. However, I have seen other people using this system as a fast(er) track to NZ and, because they already had enough points to submit an EOI, they didn't need to wait the 2 years before applying for PR, so it's worth investigating. This route is generally used by people who have the required skills but don't have quite enough points and, with some NZ work experience under their belts, they would then be able to apply for PR.

Your wife and children can be included in your application. Here's a bit more about it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tangye is offline Junior Member

Default Thankyou

Hi MB,

thanks for the prompt reply, I had read up on most of this before I posted but had read somehere that the wife and children would have to come over on a 9 month visitors visa or something to that effect, I can't remember where I read it. Anyway you've put my mind at ease now and the only reason I was going to apply for a work permit rather than a work to residency permit was because I was under the impression that it was much quicker to get and my potential employer is already asking about timescales etc,

thanks as always

Tangye

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The bit about family being included on your application seems to relate to the WTR visa only. I think, if you apply for an ordinary temporary work visa, your wife and children would have to apply for a visa that is appropriate to their needs i.e. your wife could get a work visa (even if she doesn't want to work) and your children could get their Students Visas. They could do this on the strength of your work visa being granted and would get the same length of time as specified on your visa.

Your partner holds a New Zealand work permit

If your partner holds a work permit for more than six months we may grant you a work permit for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. Your partner must:

* be eligible to sponsor you
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

However, you are not eligible for a permit if your partner's work permit:

* is a special permit that allows them to work in New Zealand until we verify their claim of refugee status
    * was granted under the October 2000 Transitional Policy for people who were unlawfully in New Zealand on 18 September 2000
    * was granted under one of our working holiday schemes
    * was granted under the Pacific Quotas Residual Places Work Permit Policy
    * was granted under the Horticulture and Viticulture Industries Seasonal Work Permit (SWP) Policy – 2006 Pilot
    * was granted under the Crew of foreign chartered fishing vessels policy, or
    * was granted under the Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) Work Policy.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.