Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Further Work Permit

jimchan is offline Junior Member

Default Further Work Permit

Hi,
    I am applying to renew my work permit and wanting to leave NZ and re-enter when necessary. The application form actually provides the option "Applying for a work permit and a multiple journey work visa" but I was told that I need to pay for both the permit (NZD200) and visa (NZD200). This does not make sense to me. When I applied for multiple journey work visa outside NZ, I did not pay separate fee for the permit. Does anybody know if this is right?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Jimchan, welcome.

A person who is outside NZ would apply for a visa then, when he/she enters NZ that visa would be converted into a permit. So, it's really the same thing but called different names depending where you are when you apply. Originally, I assume, you applied for a work visa from outside. When you came into NZ it would have automatically become a work permit as you came through immigration. Now you are already inside NZ, you only need to apply for another permit and not a visa as well. It's one or the other, not both, and you wouldn't need to pay twice.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for your reply, Motherbear.

With only work permit, am I allowed to leave and re-enter NZ?

Blog Entries

If you apply for a multi-entry permit you can go out of NZ and come back in again.
    Mother Bear

Apparently, there is no such thing as multiple-entry permit, only multiple-journey visa and permit (2 stamps = 2 fees). I have just confirmed this again over the phone. That was my 4th attempts to save some money. I think I will stop here. We just cannot win.

Blog Entries

This must have changed as I have always understood that you had the option of applying for an ordinary work visa/permit or a multi-entry one. This multi-journey one is new to me and I can't figure out why they would charge you separately for the work visa/permit and another visa/permit so you can travel in and out of the country. It was always called a multi-entry work visa and I assumed there would be only one fee.
    Mother Bear

mr33 is offline Junior Member

Default visa v permit

a visa and a permit are two separate stickers which confirms your immigration status and thus you need to pay separate fees

when you initially entered NZ with a visa, upon entry you would have been stamped a permit, and for this there is no additional fee.

but if you are applying for a visa and a permit onshore, you need to pay for both.

if you leave NZ without a visa, your current permit will expire upon your departure.

you need a visa to enable your permit to stay valid and to allow you to come back into the country with your current immigration status intact.

there is no point arguing that you need not pay for both, as if you only have a permit and no corresponding visa, permit will expire the moment you leave NZ and when you attempt to re-enter NZ you could be stopped or be given a visitor's permit depending on your circumstances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr33 View Post
    when you initially entered NZ with a visa, upon entry you would have been stamped a permit, and for this there is no additional fee.
    This is what I was refering to, but how I understood it is that if someone was already in NZ on another permit that was expiring, they would have to apply for a new permit and not a visa and especially not both. I've seen it written somewhere that a visa is applied for outside NZ and a permit is applied for from within NZ. Finding it again is another matter.
    Mother Bear

mr33 is offline Junior Member

Default it is

not a requirement to have both visa and permit at all times.

as you pointed out you just need a valid permit to remain in New Zealand, there's no need for a visa if you're going to stay put.

in his case he needs a visa as he plans to leave NZ then come back, and in this instance he should have a visa beforehand to avoid any complications that may arise as a result of not having a visa.

kicune is offline Junior Member

Question Re-entry with WTR

Hi,

I would like to ask a question that relates to what jinchan & others wrote: I applied under a "skilled migrant" category and got my WTR visa with "Must not arrive after" date at the beginning of May. I will get to NZ before this date, but there are some affairs due to which I must travel to my home country in July/August. Sadly, I learnt that this will probably invalidate my work permit I get when I arrive to NZ. Is there any way to circumvent this? And for how long is the person with WTR sticker confined to NZ anyway - till he/she gets the PR? From what I learnt here, it can take years!

Well, at the end, it would be no big deal for me - as I can see from the posts here, the chances of getting work in NZ nowadays are slim anyway (I clearly didn't foresee global economy crisis when I filled my EOI two years ago - silly me ) so I'll just change my NZ aspirations from "getting new work experiences" to "enjoy my holiday", but my sympathies are with everyone who relied on WTR scheme with everything they have. Big thanks to everybody who are running this forums - information contained here can literarily save lives!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast