Thread: Working holiday to residence

seVans36 is offline Junior Member

Question Working holiday to residence

Hi all

I am currently over in NZ on a 12 month working holiday visa but would like to apply for residency under the family section.
    My dad lives here and has done so for over 20years

I am 30
    my mum live over seas I am from England
    I do have a half brother but only seen him a had full of times
    I looking for work and possibly with ENZA or similar and would try to get an offer for the following season/6 month contract.
    Police record is clean and medical is good

from this can any one tell me if I got any hope! would I need to leave to apply or can I apply wile on the working hol visa?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Shaun.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome Shaun!

Looking on here it says ...

To be eligible your brother, sister or adult child must have

* have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which they are living lawfully and permanently

Sounds a bit confusing the way they have put it, but makes me think that, if you have a parent or a brother or sister living in the UK, which is where you are permanently resident, then it can't be done, which seems a bit unfair. I'm not sure from what you say whether your mother lives in the UK or another country. If it is the case that you can't apply if you have family back home, then it seems that the only way you could get to stay permanently in NZ would be if you had a job skill that was on the list of skills needed in NZ or if you had other skills and could find a job with an accredited employer who is authorised by INZ to take on overseas applicants. You could probably extend your WHV to 23 months if you wish and you would certainly need to do this if you made an application under the Family Category because it takes a long time for such applications to go through during which time you would need to be covered by a valid visa.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

seVans36 is offline Junior Member

thanks for your reply!! my mum lives in spain, but its my half bro I am not sure about could I just not say about him I dont even know the guy!
    Guess that would be on my head... would legal addvice help?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No need to go to the expense of getting legal advice. You can email INZ and ask them how you stand or even pop into a branch near you. If you email they may take a day or so to reply but I think they generally do answer. It will help that your mother is not living in the UK but the question about your half brother will need to be sorted as it will be down to how INZ sees him in relation to you.

Good luck!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

mr33 is offline Junior Member

Default you could be eligible

From here (Immediate family - New Zealand Immigration Service)

Immediate family includes all biological or adoptive parents and siblings of the principal applicant. Step-parents and step-siblings are considered to be part of the principal applicantís immediate family unless the principal applicant provides evidence that these family members have not lived a part of the principal applicantís family unit for a pre-dominant period of the principal applicantís life since the step-relationship was created.

So if Mum has residence in Spain, and you've never seen your step-brother then you may be eligible, provided you meet other requirements such as health and character. in addition you need to have an acceptable offer of employment (Offer of employment)