Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Could use some advice, please.

  1. #1
    andrewdeham is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Could use some advice, please.


    I found this forum the other day while searching for information on dealing with Immigration here in New Zealand. I'm not quite sure which way to turn at the moment and would appreciate any advice regarding my situation.

    I'm an American currently in NZ on a working holiday visa. I've spent much of my time in the country helping to build a farm. It's been underway for about a year now, and started from basically the ground up. The infrastructure and herd build-up will be complete in about six more months and already we're facing more demand than we can possibly supply. The owners have recently offered me a full 1/2 share in the business if I'd be willing to stay and help run the farm. I'm not interested in staying in NZ permanently, but I'd certainly be interested in staying for another year and helping to get this farm get off the ground. I'm planning to build a very similar business when I return to the US, so the experience I'm gaining here is very valuable to me.

    Looking through the Immigration website, I'm not sure which option I could apply under and have any hope of staying to do this. I don't know if they could offer me a "job" at this point and go that route because it's a family farm, not a large corporation. Any pay I'd receive on top of basic living expenses would be variable according to the amount of animals we turn over, so they can't really say they want to hire me at suchandsuch wage for suchandsuch period of time. I'm really not concerned about the money so much anyway, as I'm viewing it as more of an educational experience. I don't think I'd have any luck trying to go the entrepreneurial route either because from memory, they want you to be the sole proprietor and have heaps of money.

    So, does anyone have any advice on how I might approach this thing? Duly appreciated, for certain!

  2. #2
    MotherBear's Avatar
    MotherBear is offline The missing link
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries


    Hi Andrew and season's greetings to you. Hope you had a good Christmas.

    Your situation is rather more complicated than normal. I take it that, because you're from the US, your permit is only for 12 months, which is unfortunate because those from the UK provide an option for up to 23 months. How much longer does your current permit have to run?

    This allows for an extension of 3 months but that probably wouldn't be long enough for you. Bear in mind, when dealing with INZ, that a WHV only permits you to work for a certain length of time and not full time because it is generally for holidaying and a offers a means of supporting yourself whilst on holiday.

    To be eligible

    You must:

    * usually be permanently living in the United States of America – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application
    * have a passport from the United States of America that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
    * be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
    * not bring children with you
    * hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket*
    * have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
    * meet our health and character requirements
    * hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance for the length of your stay
    * be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
    * not have been approved a visa or permit under a Working Holiday Scheme before.

    There are visas specifically available for the horticulture and viticulture industry but they wouldn't apply to you if you are involved with cattle. The normal route would be to apply for a work permit, but there are various criteria to be followed when applying and, as you already know, you don't quite fit these if your employer can't provide a proper contract and salary breakdown.

    I don't know if a chat with an immigration officer would throw any light on the way forward for you, but the difficulty is that you may fall into the trap of having to admit that you have been working full time and wish to continue with this. You could stay longer in NZ by applying for a visitor permit but, of course, you couldn't work on this and I believe INZ is pretty hot on this subject.

    Sorry, not much help.
    Mother Bear

    Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Similar Threads

  1. Any advice? please......
    By lmsee in forum General NZ Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2008, 08:18 AM
  2. Also Looking for Some Advice
    By Jake in forum General NZ Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-02-2008, 06:31 PM
  3. hi and need advice plz
    By moondust_frenzy in forum Making The Move
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 12:51 PM
  4. Some advice PLEASE!!
    By Cairenh in forum General NZ Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-04-2006, 01:51 PM
  5. Looking for Advice
    By andersonclan in forum General NZ Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 04:03 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21