Thread: application for work permit (process in theory)

NevilleSummers is offline Junior Member

Default application for work permit (process in theory)

Hello,
    since I think that I am a little bit calmer and focused than I might be in some weeks time, I just would like to see if I am correct in my assumption, or if I am wrong in something.
    Assumption: My job is on the ISSL, I receive a job offer while on a visitors permit in NZ.

- Complete the form Work Visa/ Permit Application (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...8FA/0/1015.pdf)
    - get job offer
    - get full medical
    - get police clearance
    - get Employer Supplementary Form
    - make sure my credit card will be able to pay the 200 NZ $ fee

Now here are a few questions:
    The form looks quite OK, however, I do have a few questions.
    - Do I need to get immigration advice, because somehow I have the feeling that this would just be an agency collecting lots of money for giving me the form or maybe even completing the form
    - Since my job is on the ISSL, I apply for Essential Skills Work policy.
    - Is there a chance of finding out the ANZSCO skill level without getting everything certified. But obviously it is not necessary anyway.
    - They are always mentioning "evidence of". Do they accept copies of certificates, reference letters, etc. or do they need originals. Same with medicals and police clearance. Which documents need to be provided in original (passport only?)
    - There is also one section, where they ask when you are planning to leave NZ. Well, what to write. "Depends on how long my work permit gets issued" will not be a suitable answer. Same with "date you want your work permit to be valid for" - As long as possible :-) Any comments on a good date or time frame

Afterwards I put everything in a big envelope and drop it at an Immigration Branch in NZ and hope they will get in touch with me. If I need to give them my passport, how can I identify myself while waiting for a reply? Do I need to drop my immigration papers with the branch, where my future employer will be (eg can I drop it in Wellington, although I will be working in Auckland). What if I get rejected? Does my visitors permit become invalid and I need to leave (time frame). Any experiences with a time frame of application processing in the Auckland area. Might be the busiest branch, but maybe also the one with the most staff.

Questions over questions, but I hope do get some comments, advice, experience, etc. I am sure I have forgotten something that is still in my mind...

This NZQA assessment keeps on irritating me. Is it really required if you have 7 years experience (4 are required) in the job and might be even overqualified. I mean, if you have a job offer of a renown employer, it should be obvious that you are kind of qualified for the job.
    Moreover, the assessment takes even as fast track around 20 working days. Well, by the time it returns and by the time Immigration has everything, the tourist visas are expired anyway.

Just another tought, that does not really make sense.
    On the one hand is my job listed on the ISSL (incl. Auckland Area), on the other hand this link http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...rmationnew.xml says that there are workers and trainable people available in the area (ANZSCO 141111). So are people needed in Auckland, or not. Just keeps on confusing me...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I think I'll just have to nibble away at these questions bit by bit as I'm not on my own PC and don't have access to all my useful links.

Quote Originally Posted by NevilleSummers View Post
    - They are always mentioning "evidence of". Do they accept copies of certificates, reference letters, etc. or do they need originals. Same with medicals and police clearance. Which documents need to be provided in original (passport only?)
    You can provide certified copies of the documents you would prefer not to part with, including your passport although INZ will, ultimately, need your passport to put your residency into.

If I need to give them my passport, how can I identify myself while waiting for a reply?
    You can submit a certified copy of the first and last pages of your passport if you want to but, if you choose to send INZ your passport, couldn't you use your driver's licence to identify yourself meanwhile?

Do I need to drop my immigration papers with the branch, where my future employer will be (eg can I drop it in Wellington, although I will be working in Auckland).
    I guess it would usually be the case that you submit your application to the nearest INZ branch where you live. If you later move to another area, they would probably forward your file on. However, in the case of a work permit, I would hope it would be processed reasonably quickly.

What if I get rejected? Does my visitors permit become invalid and I need to leave (time frame).
    I doubt anything would happen to your visitor's permit unless you did something very bad and were ordered to leave the country.

Any experiences with a time frame of application processing in the Auckland area. Might be the busiest branch, but maybe also the one with the most staff.
    This might be worth reading to give you some idea of how INZ Auckland branch works. There are other links on the lefthand side that may be of interest but I don't find they contain the information one would hope they would e.g. in Processing Times it states they say In order to help you make your preparations, we've put together some approximate timeframes and guidelines around the Immigration New Zealand residence or temporary entry permit/visa application process but it doesn't actually mention the timings for the temporary permits.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.