Thread: Job on ISSL - work permit still a problem?

NevilleSummers is offline Junior Member

Default Job on ISSL - work permit still a problem?

Hello,
    I have been reading quite a lot on this forum, and I was wondering if you could help me out on my first posting :-)
    I am a Restaurant Manager with 7 years of experience. The job situation does not look very good, and therefore I was looking into some options. One option is definitely NZ, where my job description in on the ISSL, which means that no qualified NZ can be found (in the listed areas), and therefore NZ Immigration should accept foreigners. As far as I know the possible employer does not even need to proove that he was looking for a Kiwi, since the job is on the ISSL. Any comments? Any experiences?
    Now I am thinking of flying to NZ for 3 months and go on a job hunt, since possible employers want to see you usually in person. Anybody ever done this before. How do you think are chances of getting a job. I do think that I have quite good experience, and education.
    Best regards,
    Neville

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Neville and welcome to MTNZ.

Sorry, no personal experiences to relate, but I'm pretty sure someone with managerial status and 7 years' work experience would be a valuable asset to a company. It's certainly a good idea to go to NZ for 3 months on a job search because, as you say, potential employers seem to prefer the face to face approach which shows that you've made the commitment to travel to NZ in your hunt for a job. Perhaps it would be a good idea to scour the job sites beforehand to see what's about in your line of work and then you will have something to aim for when you get there. Jobs do seem to be harder to come by these days because of the number of returning kiwis who have come home from jobs overseas that have failed due to the recession. Because of this, it might be a good idea to do some homework before you set out for NZ.

According to this, if you have a job offer that is on the ISSL, it would be accepted that no suitably qualified kiwi could be found to do the job. All you have to do now is convince them you're the very guy they are looking for.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Roshini is offline Junior Member

Neville,

It is not as easy as you think! Employers prefer locals to be honest unless you are truly extraordinary and lucky!
    They will not even consider you if you are on on a visitor's visa but you can still give it a go. I have been applying for jobs (any job) at this point because I am desperate and nothing yet. Even a cleaner's job requires exprience haha. Too many applicants and few jobs.

NevilleSummers is offline Junior Member

Thanks.
    Do you think in general it is easier to get a work permit/visa aproved from outside NZ or from inside (in case you have a job offer). I think processing times from within are much faster, but I do not know how immigration sees it if you come on a tourist visa, and apply for a work permit after 10 days being in the country. But on the other hand the job would be on the ISSL, so the faster the better for them as well.
    So many things going through my head...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don't think it matters much if you apply from inside NZ or outside as long as you have a skilled job offer. I wouldn't say that applying inside NZ is any quicker than outside. In fact, I have often read that it can be longer because there is a greater number of applicants already inside the country. When you first enter NZ on a visit visa, it is not advisable to let immigration know that you will be looking for work. I guess maybe they are afraid people will try to work while still on their visit permit. Many people have already travelled to NZ on a visit visa and have found skilled job offers and gone on to apply for work permits, usually without a problem. For some people it is the only way to get into the country to be able to look for a job. It is much easier to look for jobs in person that when you are back in your home country.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.