Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Certificates certified in my home country?

KittyWu is offline Member

Default Certificates certified in my home country?

Hi everyone,

I have posted quite a few threads previously. Now I will need to start to ask my family in China to prepare to mail the acedemic documents to me. To apply for work permit and IRD number,etc.what documents do I need from China please? Should I have them certified in China before my family mail them to me? Because I heard they can also have them certified here, some translations companies? Or are they more expensive than havening them done in China? What are your suggestions? Could you give me a list of the documents that I will need for work permit and IRD number applications? Things like my bachelor's degree certificate,univ.gradution certificate?What else? I have lots of other certificates such as competition winning prizes as the President of English Club,Speaking contest winner,all those things,my family should mail those things too?

Also,I am holding a visitor's visa,9 months, it wont expire until June 4,2010. So before I came here, I already had full medical report and non-criminal certificate from police, which means all these were already done in China regarding immigration's requirements because they issued me a 9-month-visa.

Thank you and waiting for your replies...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don't know if you can learn anything about applying for an IRD no. from here.

It may be a good idea to have your documents, like your qualifications, validated in China because it would be easier to do it now while they are still in China. Different countries have different requirements with regard to attestation so it's best to check first what is needed so you don't go to a lot of trouble for nothing. I recently checked out the validation process for my son who is going to Dubai and he would have to have his qualifications attested in the UK and also by the UAE embassy, but NZ might not need this. Usually NZQA would be the body that would verify your qualifications if they weren't comparable with a NZ qualification. I think you would only need your qualifications, evidence of previous work experience (contracts, letters from employers etc.) and evidence of a job offer in NZ to be able to apply for a work permit but it might be a good idea if your family sent things like your birth certificate which you might need at some point. I am thinking not only of you applying for a work permit but also if you later apply for residency. You shouldn't need any of the others documents for winning competitions etc., only things that would help with getting a job and for verifying your personal details, like the birth certificate.

Your medical certificate is only valid for 3 months so you would need to put in an application for residency quite soon to be able to use it again. The police certificate is valid for 6 months.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi Motherbear,

Thank you for your reply.The birth certificate is also in Chinese, so I should also ask my family to have it certified too? They can simply mail the copy certified to me right? They dont need to send the original of the brith certificate to me I hope. If they lose it on the way here to New Zealand,it will be a big trouble. Sometimes Courier loses things,so...

Please let me know,thanks
    Kitty

You shouldn't need any of the others documents for winning competitions etc., only things that would help with getting a job and for verifying your personal details, like the birth certificate.

till is offline Senior Member

Hi KittyWu,

just a few remarks (cause I did the same things recently...)

1. Take a look at the List of Qualifications exempt from Assessment from China, these don't require an NZQA verification.

2. For an IRD number simply go to a postshop and ask for an IRD application form (or here), but bring a passport (plus copy of photo and entry stamp page) and an international or translated driver license (plus copy).

3. INZ requires either originals or certified copies (but then may still want to see originals). Most important: Birth certificate and police clearance certificate. If you're afraid of courier items getting lost, ask at your embassy or consulate, if you could get it reissued. Certification of copies are done for instance at the police station free of charge.

HTH
    Till

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KittyWu View Post
    The birth certificate is also in Chinese, so I should also ask my family to have it certified too? They can simply mail the copy certified to me right? They dont need to send the original of the brith certificate to me I hope.
    A certified copy of your birth certificate should be OK but you would also need to have it translated. INZ will ask for this if you submit an application for residency.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default hi Till

Hi Till,

How are you? Now I have got my IRD number,it is cool. I am still on my visitor's visa,but I got my IRD number.Till,I just received all my original qualifications related to my major and teaching in China from home. So now I will need to start to do the NZQA(if I need to) and teacher registration. Hey you gave me this link People's Republic of China
    very helpful. You know Till,I have always worried that I need to go through NZQA,I know it is going to be a big hassle,I even thought about asking some immigration consultant to take care of it,because it seems I cant just walk into a NZQA office in Auckland,pay the money,give them my originals,etc,and they assess them? I need to do the complicated things online and need to mail my originals to Wellington?

But the link you gave me,I read,but it is still not very clear,but it seems I dont need to have my bachelor's degree assessed by NZQA,because there is no need.If it is so,it is great news.Could you read it and confirm? I have my bachelor's degree of arts(education),4 years of study in univ.so it seems there is no need to have it assessed by NZQA,but I do need to get it translated into English right?I have other qualifications related to teaching too,my qualification of being a qualified high school teacher(i got two of them),also my english language test qualification(we call it Band 6 in China)do i need to have these things NZQA?the link you gave me simply mention bachelor's degree,you said you just went through such things recently,so please give me more suggestions.

Also,where should I get my qualifications translated for the purpose of finding job or PR if I dont need to have them assessed by NZQA?

Hope to hear from you soon

Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by till View Post
    Hi KittyWu,

just a few remarks (cause I did the same things recently...)

1. Take a look at the List of Qualifications exempt from Assessment from China, these don't require an NZQA verification.

2. For an IRD number simply go to a postshop and ask for an IRD application form (or here), but bring a passport (plus copy of photo and entry stamp page) and an international or translated driver license (plus copy).

3. INZ requires either originals or certified copies (but then may still want to see originals). Most important: Birth certificate and police clearance certificate. If you're afraid of courier items getting lost, ask at your embassy or consulate, if you could get it reissued. Certification of copies are done for instance at the police station free of charge.

HTH
    Till

Hi Kitty,

good to hear from you, and that you're making progress, even just little steps like getting your IRD number make you feel better

it seems I dont need to have my bachelor's degree assessed by NZQA
    Well, the clearest and important part is the note at the end:
    Note: All Bachelors and Masters degrees issued in the People's Republic of China after 1984 must be endorsed "Awarded according to the Regulations Concerning Academic Degrees in the People's Republic of China".
    So, if your bachelor's certificate shows that endorsement, you don't need NZQA, and get 50 points for your EOI (Expression of Interest) if you want to go for PR.

but I do need to get it translated into English right?
    Definitely. Everything not in English must be accompanied by a translation.

where should I get my qualifications translated
    Have a look at this, which mentions for example the Department of Internal Affairs' Translation Service.
    Also, NZQA have a list of recommended services.

I have other qualifications related to teaching too,my qualification of being a qualified high school teacher(i got two of them),
    Teachers need occupational registration (from here) at the teachers council.
    If you wanted to claim EOI points for you teacher's qualification(s) (which you don't need because your bachelor is recognised), then you'd need NZQA assessment and registration.
    Let's have a look at the Long Term Skill Shortage List (PDF here), which tells us:
    Secondary School Teachers (ANZSCO code 241411) are in demand. You'd be lucky and could even get bonus points for an absolute shortage qualification:
    Bachelors degree (or equivalent) with a major in a NZ teaching subject AND a secondary teaching qualification recognised for registration purposes by the New Zealand Teachers Council OR a four year Bachelor of Education/Teaching (Secondary) with a major in a NZ teaching subject
    With your Bachelor of Arts (which should be a NZ teaching subject) and after getting a Teachers Council registration, you fulfil these requirements.
    So, the pointsindicator tells me you'd get 115 points, which is enough to get selected because of your bonus points (see here for the latest selections).

also my english language test qualification(we call it Band 6 in China)do i need to have these things NZQA?
    Read this regarding English language proficiency requirements, which you shouldn't have any problems with, however, NZIS need some evidence. You could probably go for c.iii.:
    the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
    if you worked as an English teacher, and avoid sitting an IELTS exam. But no need for NZQA there.

Hope I haven't confused you
    I suggest you do your EOI ASAP, cause I think you would get selected straight away, and go for PR. Meanwhile, you can still look for a job, and get a work permit.

All the best,
    Till
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

Default Hi Till

Hi Till,

Nice to hear from you again. First of all,did you have EOI selected on Nov.4,2009???? I saw it below your signature,is it true??Oh my gosh,it is so good. You have made your success and I think you can give me some good guide and help for my process too:)

Well, the clearest and important part is the note at the end:
    ["INDENT]Note: All Bachelors and Masters degrees issued in the People's Republic of China after 1984 must be endorsed "Awarded according to the Regulations Concerning Academic Degrees in the People's Republic of China".[/INDENT]
    So, if your bachelor's certificate shows that endorsement, you don't need NZQA, and get 50 points for your EOI (Expression of Interest) if you want to go for PR."

Yes,Till,my bachelor's degree has this endorsement,I had a four year study of univ. My degree is Bachelor's of Arts in English Education.

"Definitely. Everything not in English must be accompanied by a translation."
    Thank you Till,your information is great. I called a few up and picked this one:DW Translation
    David Wang
    Chinese
    Level 6, 300 Queen St
    PO Box 6040, Wellesley Street
    AUCKLAND
    Phone: 09 303 0380
    Fax: 09 303 0381
    Email: abc@3030380.com
    I found him from the Internal Affairs translation service website you gave me for the NZQA one office is in Wellington. This company I contacted told me their translation is for every purpose including immigration and NZQA,he even asked me to be careful about other organizations for they might be for one of them only but his company is for both immigration and NZQA recognition.I am going there to have the translations done either tomorrow or the day after.

If you wanted to claim EOI points for you teacher's qualification(s) (which you don't need because your bachelor is recognised), then you'd need NZQA assessment and registration.
    Yes,Till,I will register on Teachers Council,but I dont understand what you said above,could you explain again?You mean I dont need to have my teacher's qualifications assessed by NZQA because my bachelor's degree in English Education already gained points for me? Is it what you meant?Till,I wonder how many of my qualifications should I have translated??I am thinking I should have my bachelor's degree translated for sure,My teacher's qualification recognizing me being a high school teacher authorised by the education council of the People's Republic of China(I got two of them),i should have them translated?also my English language certificate(we call it Band 6 in China),but I taught English and my major was english education and my spoken english is excellent. Oh I should also get my transcripts translated? You know it is not popular in China for universities to give us the transcripts after we graduated,and we need to ask the school to give it if we need it. Now my sister just scanned a copy of a letter of recommendation which contains my transcripts that shows all the courses I have done at univ. and the scores,My sister just scanned it and sent to me,I saved it in my email,is this one ok?

"Let's have a look at the Long Term Skill Shortage List (PDF here), which tells us:
    Secondary School Teachers (ANZSCO code 241411) are in demand. You'd be lucky and could even get bonus points for an absolute shortage qualification:
    Bachelors degree (or equivalent) with a major in a NZ teaching subject AND a secondary teaching qualification recognised for registration purposes by the New Zealand Teachers Council OR a four year Bachelor of Education/Teaching (Secondary) with a major in a NZ teaching subject
    With your Bachelor of Arts (which should be a NZ teaching subject) and after getting a Teachers Council registration, you fulfil these requirements.
    So, the pointsindicator tells me you'd get 115 points, which is enough to get selected because of your bonus points (see here for the latest selections)."

Till this part you wrote to me is just wonerful. And I know now the possible option I may have.But I will need your help to look more into it.The description looks like me,do you really suggest I start to apply for PR under this category right away?It is possible,but I will need to look more and get more information. What are all the documentations/papers that I need to collect before I apply? Or is it easier that I just get a skilled job as a teacher in a language school as a ESOL teacher who teaches the international students whose first language is not English? Because I am interested in this. After I get a teaching job as an entry, I may need to go to school for postgraduate study for a diploma degree too so that I will fit in more,etc.
    I will look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Read this regarding English language proficiency requirements, which you shouldn't have any problems with, however, NZIS need some evidence. You could probably go for c.iii.:
    the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
    if you worked as an English teacher, and avoid sitting an IELTS exam. But no need for NZQA there.

Hope I haven't confused you
    I suggest you do your EOI ASAP, cause I think you would get selected straight away, and go for PR. Meanwhile, you can still look for a job, and get a work permit.

All the best,
    Till[/QUOTE]

Hi Kitty,

yepp, got selected on 4 Nov, but that was almost sure because of my bonus points. As I posted earlier, at the moment the selection criteria for less than 140 points and no job (nor offer) are 15 or 10 absolute skill shortage bonus points.
    But what's even cooler is the status update yesterday: Decision successfull means they're gonna send an ITA
    And I sure will help you, at least to my knowledge...
    Yes,Till,my bachelor's degree has this endorsement,I had a four year study of univ. My degree is Bachelor's of Arts in English Education.
    From my understanding, you don't need NZQA, but to be 100% sure, I would ask INZ.
    You mean I dont need to have my teacher's qualifications assessed by NZQA because my bachelor's degree in English Education already gained points for me? Is it what you meant?
    Exactly.
    In the EOI you don't need to mention all your qualifications, but only those you want to get points for, which would be your Bachelor, which is recognised, thus doesn't need NZQA.
    If the Teachers Council need NZQA assessment of your other qualifications as a high school teacher, I can't tell you.
    My teacher's qualification recognizing me being a high school teacher authorised by the education council of the People's Republic of China(I got two of them),i should have them translated?
    Depends. Ask at the Teachers Council.
    also my English language certificate(we call it Band 6 in China),but I taught English and my major was english education and my spoken english is excellent. Oh I should also get my transcripts translated?
    Well, I'm not sure if you'll need those.
    I don't know about translations from Chinese, but the quotes I got let me have only the definitely needed documents translated. But I haven't got the ITA application pack yet, so I don't know what INZ will be requesting. Maybe someone else can tell?
    do you really suggest I start to apply for PR under this category right away?
    Considering the long processing times, well, yes.
    If you've made up your mind, that you want to go for PR instead of work visa or work to residence.
    I'm on a visitor's permit, that's why I chose the PR option, in case the job search gets too difficult without work permit. And job offers are supposed to speed up the application process.
    What are all the documentations/papers that I need to collect before I apply?
    For the EOI you don't need any papers. After getting your ITA, you have 4 months for document collection. In order not to blow up this thread too much (and we're in the Work Permit related section ), I refer you to other postings.
    Or is it easier that I just get a skilled job as a teacher in a language school as a ESOL teacher who teaches the international students whose first language is not English?
    In the 3 weeks I'm here now I had 2 job interviews plus 1 almost invitaion, two of which failed because lack of work permit. But I don't know about the situation for teachers. Other people's opinions please?

So far from me, my advice: sign up with INZ and start filling in your EOI online.

Cheers, Till
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

Default Hi Till

Hi Till,

I have done a lot of research today. It is getting more and more complicated and confusing though. From the link you gave me on immigration website,it seemed to say bachelor's degrees from China are recognized here in NZ. But then I read the Teacher Council stuff,it says there that my qualifications need to be assessed by NZQA,oh gosh.And it seems teachers registrations there need to be from countries where English is their first language,but I want to be a teacher for international students. So it is very uncertain and it seems Chinese certificates are not recognized but in the other website you gave me,it seems qualified,but maybe from the skilled migrant point of view? Not sure. Because these NZQA and teacher registraion stuff cost money and it is not just a little,so it is better to make sure whether I can register for teacher and can teach here before I pay the money. Or simply get a job and then apply for work permit? Really really confusing.

You think I can start to apply for EOI online now? I can do it,could you give me the link of the application? That will be faster if you give it.Also,does it cost money to apply online? Because not sure whether I am qualified for this since confusions mentioned above occur. The NZQA is very troublesome,right? Have you done it? I dont think I can just walk into their office in Auckland and just have them assessed? I need to fill in lots of things online and need to send the originals to Wellington. Hmmm or maybe I should negotiate with an immigration consultant and let him/her handle? Because I am not sure which way I should go for and now the time is very tight, because my visitor's visa will expire on June 4,2010 and everything will be closed for 4-5 weeks for it will be Christmas soon.

Hope someone will give me more suggestions. I will also check more about teacher register,but it looks like very difficult because it seems Chinese certificates are not recognized...

Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by till View Post
    Hi Kitty,

yepp, got selected on 4 Nov, but that was almost sure because of my bonus points. As I posted earlier, at the moment the selection criteria for less than 140 points and no job (nor offer) are 15 or 10 absolute skill shortage bonus points.
    But what's even cooler is the status update yesterday: Decision successfull means they're gonna send an ITA
    And I sure will help you, at least to my knowledge...

From my understanding, you don't need NZQA, but to be 100% sure, I would ask INZ.

Exactly.
    In the EOI you don't need to mention all your qualifications, but only those you want to get points for, which would be your Bachelor, which is recognised, thus doesn't need NZQA.
    If the Teachers Council need NZQA assessment of your other qualifications as a high school teacher, I can't tell you.

Depends. Ask at the Teachers Council.

Well, I'm not sure if you'll need those.
    I don't know about translations from Chinese, but the quotes I got let me have only the definitely needed documents translated. But I haven't got the ITA application pack yet, so I don't know what INZ will be requesting. Maybe someone else can tell?

Considering the long processing times, well, yes.
    If you've made up your mind, that you want to go for PR instead of work visa or work to residence.
    I'm on a visitor's permit, that's why I chose the PR option, in case the job search gets too difficult without work permit. And job offers are supposed to speed up the application process.

For the EOI you don't need any papers. After getting your ITA, you have 4 months for document collection. In order not to blow up this thread too much (and we're in the Work Permit related section ), I refer you to other postings.

In the 3 weeks I'm here now I had 2 job interviews plus 1 almost invitaion, two of which failed because lack of work permit. But I don't know about the situation for teachers. Other people's opinions please?

So far from me, my advice: sign up with INZ and start filling in your EOI online.

Cheers, Till

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast