Thread: visa deadline

mascot is offline Junior Member

Default visa deadline

I am writing in regard to our visa as we were due to leave the UK within next 6 weeks for New Zealand. However, We caught wind of a problem a couple of weeks ago as we should of exchange contracts on our house sale some weeks ago. For many weeks we have been pushing the buyers solicitors to try and get an understanding of what is holding things up. We have just had a conversation with our Solicitor and received news that our house sale has fallen through for the second time this year - so that's a double-whammy for us. We are absolutely devastated and we are feeling completely exasperated by the news as our deadline to move to NZ is Dec 09.

The UK like New Zealand is facing an extraordinary situation - We are all experiencing the effects of this global financial tsunami! . The financial turmoil has hit hard on many levels and the global repercussions of this crisis are evident. As to be expected there appears to be a lot of uncertainly at the moment which is having a paralysing effect on the housing market. It looks like it may be while yet before we start to see any true signs of recovery.

As you can imagine, we are feeling anxious about the current situation and the impact on our move to New Zealand. I don't think we can be the only applicants who are suffering the consequences of this global recession. Does anyone know if we can apply for an extension to our visa to give us more time to be able to make the move?
    Any advice most welcome please.

Best wishes,

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ Mascot. So sorry to hear about your trials with selling your house. We had a spate of similar posts some time ago where it seemed quite a lot of people were being put through the same trauma as you are going through.

Can I ask what kind of visa you have? If you are selling your house I guess it may well be a long term visa, like residency. Different visas allow for a certain length of time before you have to travel to NZ to activate them or lose them. With a residency visa it is 12 months and it can happen that some people still aren't ready to make the move even after the 12 months so they fly to NZ to activate their visas and then leave again to complete their business in their home country. For others this might not be an option due to cost. I can't say I have heard of anyone who has managed to extend their visa, but maybe someone else who has been in this position will be able to give more information.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.

The visa we have been issued with is a Residence Visa which was issued on the 8th Dec 08 Since receiving the visa we put everything in to action to ensure we did not miss the opportunity. We started putting things in to action striaght away as 12mths to get eveything oransied is no time at all. It wasn't long before we started to feel the impact of the global financial mess.

You mentioned about travellling to NZ to activate our visa - can you explain how that works? Do we both need to travel? and how long do we have to stay? and what would be the time period for us to return back to NZ?

Sorry about the string of questions only I can't think straight at the moment as I feel completely exasperated by the whole affair. I really don't want to miss moving to NZ after all this hard work and effort.

Best wishes.

Blog Entries

Once you have a residency visa and travel to NZ within the permitted 12 months, you will be issued with a residence permit upon arrival. This allows you to stay in NZ indefinitely. HOWEVER, it expires if you leave NZ. So, in order to be able to travel, you need a Returning Resident's Visa (RRV). Fortunately, if you have a valid Residence Permit, you are automatically entitled to a Returning Resident's Visa.

The RRV is valid for 2 years so, as in your case, you could receive your residence visa, travel to NZ within 12 months, get your residence permit and RRV, then leave again when you wish without losing any of your coveted residency rights. One thing to keep in mind is that, before your RRV expires after the 2 years, in order to get a new one, you either have to return to NZ or prove some kind of commitment to the country. One way to prove this is your having been in NZ for 184 days out of EACH of the 2 years. There are other ways to prove a commitment to NZ as well which you should find in the link quoted above. If you aren't able to settle in NZ during that first 2 years, you would need to apply for a further RRV when the existing one is about to expire otherwise you wouldn't be able to get back into the country as a resident. It is at the discretion of INZ as to how long this second RRV would be for - sometimes only 2 weeks.

When you eventually get to NZ to stay, you would then need to stay there for 184 days in each of the first 2 years and, after that, you would be entitled to an Indefinite RRV, which means you can come and go as you like and stay out for whatever length of time you wish.

This is a previous thread about activating PR which should answer your query about this.
    Mother Bear

Default visa deadline

Can't thank you enough - at least I know we have another option.

I have been liasing with INZ for weeks now with little support offered.
    Truely amazing, I join this forum and within 2 days a knowlegable Mother Bear was able to give me lifeline with sound advice along with all the links to websites I need. Nothing really beats the human interaction and the experience of others.

Many, many thanks.

Blog Entries

You're welcome, Mascot. Glad to be of service, but please do watch out for the timings for all this as they can be critical i.e. you both to travel to NZ before the 12 months for activation is up and then monitor how long before you travel back again to take up your residency. Renewing your RRV can be tricky if you don't fit in with the rules.
    Mother Bear