Thread: How can I apply for work permit under partnership?

KittyWu is offline Member

Default How can I apply for work permit under partnership?

Hi there,

My bf sponsored me and we applied for a 9 month visitor's for me. It will expire on June 4,2010. Now I have been in Auckland for 15 days now. I enjoy it very much. I like it here. We have been together for 7 months now(Starting from the date we met in China). Now I am here,I cant just sit and eat and spend money without doing anything, my bf will be fed up with me too.

So I need to get a work permit then start my job.Can I apply for work permit under partnership? My bf asked me to just walk in immigration in Queen St and consulted them what we need to do to get the work permit for me.So could you tell me the exact address of the immigration on Queen St I should go to on Monday? Can I really just walk in and get the forms? They will answer my questions? I tried to call them first,trying to make an appointment or just consult on the phone,but gosh,I could never get to talk to anyone,just waiting wating,the phone was just ringing but they never put me to anyone to talk to. So I hope I can just walk in.

I want to prepare for my going on Monday,so please tell me your suggestions. I want to tell them,"Look,i am here now,i am living with my bf in his house,and I need to work,dont want to be his burden,we both need to work,so please give me the work permit."

Can you suggest please? I want to work soon.

Kitty

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I think there are 3 branches of INZ in Auckland and you should find their addresses lower down the page on here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tortola is offline Junior Member

Default just get the forms

you have nothing to talk to them just go at the branch and take the forms , you will find them on rack, on the wall. You need to start by taking the guide 1016 , for applying for a working visa. The form 1015 to fill in. Form 1146 ( form for supporting partnership based applications. And also get a full medical form, or a chest and X ray certificate. If you want to apply for a work permit longer than 12 months from when you eneterd the country you will need a full medical. It costs around 300$ at any general prcaticioner. The chest and X ray should be around 80-100$. Hopefully you will nedd just the chest and X ray. You also need proof of your partnership like photos, letters to both of you at the same address( you must be living in the same house). You might not even need a police certificate.
    So just browse the form, it is not that complicated as it looks.There is no point for you to go at the immigration they don`t do intervieews. Just get the form ( or print the from their the internet) and apply. It should take you around 1-2 weeks to put your application togeather. And don`t hesitate to call them if you have any questions. If you send your file incomplete they will send it back to you, it happend to me. Also you will pay a fee of 280$ or if you want a multiple entry working visa and a work permit ( you can go in and out of the country whenever you want with that) it will be double, so 560. You should spend around 800$ all togheather, or 660 if you don`t need a full medical.Also you nedd your ORIGINAL birth certificate of both of you, with legalized translation attached as proof that you are not close relatives. contact me on the formu for any questions

KittyWu is offline Member

Default More questions

Hi Tortola,

Thank you,you are a big help.I tried to call immigration,but I never succeeded getting through. My bf(who turned out to be terrible to me since I arrived) asked me to just walk in there. So I did it yesterday, everything went so smoothly,and I got all the forms. Then my bf asked me to go back(he is not willing to go by himself) to ask them what are his obligations if he sponsors me but then we break up? I never thought about this,but it seems something starts to get in his head which I am unsure of.He asked me to go back to ask them and confirm he has no obligations if he sponsors me to get the 2 year work permit but then we break up within 2 years.He asked me to tell immigration to send him an email or letter proving in written letter saying that he has no obligations at all. Then he can sponsor me right away. Yeah,we are staying together,we are living in his house. He sponsored me to come here on a visitor's visa and in China, I have done all the police certificate and medical report,inculding chest and x-ray,etc.etc.so they should have all these records still,and i have been in auckland for 18 days now.so i dont think i need to go through all the mdical stuff or police certificate again since i have done them all in china before I came. simply because immigration in HK confirmed that I would stay here,my partner would marry me,and I would need to work here,so they asked me to get all these things done already and issued me a 9 -month visitor's visa.

Now my bf change and when he talked to me last night about going back to immigration to ask about his obligations,he was very bad-tempered, i am scared of living there...

So what should I do now? Should I really go back to immigration and ask them all the questions that he wants to know? Even ask them to send him an email or letter proving that he has no responsiblilies for the sponsorship if we break up??

Quote Originally Posted by tortola View Post
    you have nothing to talk to them just go at the branch and take the forms , you will find them on rack, on the wall. You need to start by taking the guide 1016 , for applying for a working visa. The form 1015 to fill in. Form 1146 ( form for supporting partnership based applications. And also get a full medical form, or a chest and X ray certificate. If you want to apply for a work permit longer than 12 months from when you eneterd the country you will need a full medical. It costs around 300$ at any general prcaticioner. The chest and X ray should be around 80-100$. Hopefully you will nedd just the chest and X ray. You also need proof of your partnership like photos, letters to both of you at the same address( you must be living in the same house). You might not even need a police certificate.
    So just browse the form, it is not that complicated as it looks.There is no point for you to go at the immigration they don`t do intervieews. Just get the form ( or print the from their the internet) and apply. It should take you around 1-2 weeks to put your application togeather. And don`t hesitate to call them if you have any questions. If you send your file incomplete they will send it back to you, it happend to me. Also you will pay a fee of 280$ or if you want a multiple entry working visa and a work permit ( you can go in and out of the country whenever you want with that) it will be double, so 560. You should spend around 800$ all togheather, or 660 if you don`t need a full medical.Also you nedd your ORIGINAL birth certificate of both of you, with legalized translation attached as proof that you are not close relatives. contact me on the formu for any questions

tortola is offline Junior Member

Default job offer.... you don`t need it!

Kitty, to begin with you don`t need a job offer if you will apply under partnerhip policy. That is exactly what I did, I have no qualifications. If you do however have any qualifications you might not need a sponsorhip for your boyfriend, you just apply under another policy. That is if your job is on the short skills list. It took me only 9 days to get the working permit.
    If your boyfriend sponsors you under partnership policy his only problem will be that he won`t be able to sposnor anyone else for the next 7 years. That is in case you break up, and in case your aplication will be succesfull. You will see this under the definition of ELIGIBLE SPONSOR. Check if he meets the requirment for an " eligible sponsor".See the Form for Partners Supporting Partnership-Based Temporary Entry Applications (INZ 1146) for the definition of eligible sponsor. So he doesn`t have much to lose, really, especially financially. If you break up you will have to inform immigration and they will advise you what to do, probably leave the country since the" stable and genuine relationship" that got you the visa won`t exist any longer.My advice is to sit down and talk to your boyfriend about how decided he is about this relationship. You will need all his support for this visa since he will have to sign the form 1146. And...I don`t think that the Immigration will write a letter to him. They have a policy that guides them in taking their decision and I don`t think writing suport letters for potential aplicants is standard procedure. You could try, however. Even better make him call them so he can convince himself 9144100, that`s the number.
    You said you alreday have a medical and chest Xray, you might not need another one. you will see that when you fill in the form.That will make it so much cheaper. you only need to pay 280 or if you want a multiple entry visa 560.
    So dear Kitty, it is hard at the begining because you are alone in a foreign country but relax and don`t worry yet. Try to talk to your boyfriend and see how comitted he is if you go for the partnership policy.Keep writing to us,and if it something really important call the Immigration and ask them 914 4100