Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for temp work visa/permit based on partnership

KC3448 is offline Junior Member

Post Applying for temp work visa/permit based on partnership

I'm a US citizen currently living in Auckland on a Working Holiday Visa which expires in Feb 2010. My partner is a kiwi who I met while studying here in 2007 (we've been together for about 2 yrs, 3 months). I want to lodge an application for a temporary work permit based on partner ship and have a few questions/concerns.

1)Should I also apply for a temp work visa based on partnership in case I have to go home to the state unexpectedly? I think the permit only allows me to stay here, not to travel to and from NZ.

2) How long does it take the Auckland branch to process a temp work visa/permit based on partnership? Since my WHV ends Feb 22, 2010, I intend on lodging my temp work permit/visa app by Nov 1. Will three and a half months be enough time? (keep in mind I'll suppply all necessay requirements ie. medical/xrays, police certificate, evidence of my relationship) I just don't want to have to leave the country and come back.

3) When I state on my application "date I arrived in NZ" I assume I'll write when I entered for the WHV. Then it asks "date you want your work permit to be valid for". should I write a date that's two years after the date I arrived here or two years after the date my app was lodged? Then I assume I'd write the date I depart NZ to be the same as when I'd like my visa/permit to be valid until.

4) Eventually I might be applying for residence through the partnership scheme. On the work permit/visa app it asks if "my partner is eligible to sponsor me for residence". The answer is yes, he fits all requirements. Is this just asking me for future reference? I don't want to write yes and then have the app take even longer to process and I don't want to write no and have immigration think he's not eligible. should I just leave it blank?

Thanks for any help out there!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi KC and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by KC3448 View Post
    1)Should I also apply for a temp work visa based on partnership in case I have to go home to the state unexpectedly? I think the permit only allows me to stay here, not to travel to and from NZ.
    If you apply for a work permit (because you are already in NZ) under partnership, you should be issued with a temporary permit valid for 2 years. This should give you sufficient time to put in an application for residency if you wish. There are 2 types of work permit, single entry which means you have to stay in NZ or multiple-entry which means you can travel in and out so it's best to make sure that you ask for a multi-entry one.

2) How long does it take the Auckland branch to process a temp work visa/permit based on partnership?
    Here it should give you some idea of processing time for temporary visas/permits, as it states near the top of the page, but in the body of the text it only appears to deal with the Skilled Migrant Category applications so, I'm afraid, we will have to hope someone with personal experience can supply the timings.

3) When I state on my application "date I arrived in NZ" I assume I'll write when I entered for the WHV. Then it asks "date you want your work permit to be valid for". should I write a date that's two years after the date I arrived here or two years after the date my app was lodged? Then I assume I'd write the date I depart NZ to be the same as when I'd like my visa/permit to be valid until.
    I would hazard a guess that you would want your work permit to last the full 2 years, so I think I would put 2 years from date of application for the permit. The date you arrived in NZ would be exactly that.

4) Eventually I might be applying for residence through the partnership scheme. On the work permit/visa app it asks if "my partner is eligible to sponsor me for residence". The answer is yes, he fits all requirements. Is this just asking me for future reference?
    It looks like your application for a work permit under partnership is reliant on your partner being a suitable sponsor so you would need to verify that he is eligible to sponsor you. INZ must assume that you will, at some point, want to apply for residency as part of your 'evidence' that you are in a genuine and stable relationship. If you don't appear to want this, they may have doubts about the relationship and your application may be declined. If, later on, you find you don't want to go through with residency, I guess your 2-year work permit would just expire in time.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Many Thanks!

Thanks MotherBear! All of your advice will help me out a ton. Now just hoping the app process isn't too lenghty here in Auckland!!

Default Anyone have experience with Auckland INZ?

Anyone out there have experience with processing times of temporary work permit/visas at the Auckland branch??? They only list info for the skilled migrant. I've heard anything from 2 weeks to several months. Just trying to get a better idea of the norm.

ScotsJon is offline Junior Member

Cool

Hi,

I handed my application into Henderson Branch on 02/10/09 and had approval 15/10, possibly a record !!!! Application was for extension of current work permit/visa under partnership policy. Partner and I been together 12 months and needed extension to give me time to submit PR application (another $700 !!!!)

Default ...x-mas time is slower....

Hi KC,

You should be fine if you lodge your application in the beginning of Nov. I lodged my first work permit under partnership last year mid Nov and received it end of Jan....that is because thay are soooo slow over the x-mas time:(

I lodged mine in the Manukau Branch. And the second one this year for extension only took 5 days:) that s because they already have all the evidence and just want to ensure the relationship is still genuine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, ANita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Thanks Anita,

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my police certificate from the US -- it's been almost 8 weeks now!!

I'm hoping if I submit the application by Dec 1 and make sure I write a covering letter explaining the urgency of getting it by Feb 22 then maybe they'll push through the visa faster. I've clearly laid out all evidence of our relationship being genuine and stable. The minute my police certificate arrives I'll make sure to submit my app -- thanks for letting me know how slow it can be over the xmas period.

junie is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Plan to apply Partnership temp work visa/permit

Hi,

I have recently planning to apply partnership visa but there are a lot of doubts in the evidence that Immigration needs :(
    My kiwi partner and I have been dating for 6 months however we're not living together as both of us have our own job in town. He lives in a small town and I have only my work permit under company... so we're not able to be living together...

1. How do I prove that we're living in genuine and stable relationship? (it says that if we are living apart we need to shows hows our relationship maintain such as letters phoce calls or email acc etc) Is it mean that I can state my reason as the above and says like we at least meeting each others once a week and making txt and phone calls everyday.. (we live 2 hours drive apart only) would it be accepted?

2. The evidences are kinda hard to provide as ... How do I provide the evidence of sharing spare time? sharing leisure activities? presentation to outsiders as couple...? documents indicate public recognition of the partnership? evidence of communication? ... I don't know what to provide for that... please help to clear my doubts

All I can provide are as below
    1. Photos of my partners and I
    2. Joint name for our cars
    3. Ask our friends / family to write letter to prove that we're partner
    4. Phone (it is hard though because we're using prepay Bestmate of Vodafone... can't do any printout)
    5. Facebook of sharing mutual families and friends
    6. Tickets back to my country for holiday next february

What should I do more for the evidences? Please help...
    We're planning to move in together but however I can't leave my job because my permit/visa is under company... That's why I have to stay here and can't move in with him... :(

Would really appreciate all the advices and helps...
    Thanks, junie

Default answering your partnership visa questions

Hi Junie,

I recently applied for a work visa based on my partnership. I applied on November 24 and received my visa December 5 -- only 11 days! So I know the stresses of preparing everything to submit to immigration. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1. How do I prove that we're living in genuine and stable relationship? (it says that if we are living apart we need to shows hows our relationship maintain such as letters phoce calls or email acc etc) Is it mean that I can state my reason as the above and says like we at least meeting each others once a week and making txt and phone calls everyday.. (we live 2 hours drive apart only) would it be accepted?

I met my partner in July 2007 but had to return to the US to finish my studies. Therefore, until I finally moved here in June 2009, we had been living apart for the most part (besides when I moved in with him for 3 months during my summer). However, we were dedicated to seeing each other every 2.5-3 months (since he was in NZ and I was in the US this was about as realistic as we could be). I explained as a part of my application (a supplementary letter with evidence attached) of how we maintained our relationship while apart. I explained how I had to finish my studies and showed records of Skype conversations, calling card transactions and email communications. Supply as much as you can possibly find.

2. The evidences are kinda hard to provide as ... How do I provide the evidence of sharing spare time? sharing leisure activities? presentation to outsiders as couple...? documents indicate public recognition of the partnership? evidence of communication? ... I don't know what to provide for that... please help to clear my doubts

To show evidence of sharing spare time supply photographs, any tickets you have from events you've attended together. Evidence of outsiders recognising your relationship you can include letters from personal friends attesting to your relationship (for my application I had two of my best friends, my sister, my partner's mother and his best friend all write a short letter recognising that we're in a genuine and stable relationship). I also included an invitation we got to a wedding that was addressed to both of us, an envelope my mother had addressed to the both of us, as well as a christmas invitation to my partner's work function that had both our names on it. Also I printed out a copy of our Facebook pages where we are listed as "in a relationship". You can never supply enough evidence of your relationship-- as crazy as you may think to include!!!

All I can provide are as below
    1. Photos of my partners and I
    2. Joint name for our cars
    3. Ask our friends / family to write letter to prove that we're partner
    4. Phone (it is hard though because we're using prepay Bestmate of Vodafone... can't do any printout)
    5. Facebook of sharing mutual families and friends
    6. Tickets back to my country for holiday next february

All of those things you've listed are perfect! Think of anything and everything that ties the two of you together.

I'd also suggest writing a cover letter with your application. Of course have your partner write a letter in support of your visa application as well showing he agrees you're in a genuine stable relationship and look forward to living together. In your covering letter you can explain that you're not only here for your relationship but you're creating a life for yourself and you have a job. If you just fully explain why you have not yet been able to move in together you should be okay. I'm not sure they'll grant you the 2 year work visa, but you could be eligible for the 1 year visa and renew it once you two have been living together for some time.

Good luck!!

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

KC,

Just want to add that when you apply for permanent residence, you might look at applying as a skilled migrant versus applying as a partner of a NZ citizen. I came here on a work permit sponsored by my partner, but when I went to apply for PR, was told the waiting times are significantly different - only a few months as a skilled migrant, as opposed to perhaps, 2 years of waiting for approval as a partner! Needless to say, I've gone the skilled migrant route. I submitted my application at the end of August, have provided additional medical test results and now am waiting for an answer. (It might be taking a bit longer as I had to go back to the states for a month when my mother passed away, which delayed me getting the test results to my CO.) Hopefully your studies here will help with applying for PR!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast