Thread: Can I apply for PR and work permit under partnership at the same time?

KittyWu is offline Member

Default Can I apply for PR and work permit under partnership at the same time?

Hi everyone,

First,I want to thank you for advice on my questions I posted yesterday.Thank you Mother Bear and other friends who replied to my thread.I've understood a bit after your suggestions and help. Now,I think it is better to post a new thread for the questions that I am still confused about.Hope you can give me some suggestions to the questions left.

1.Find a job,apply for work permit then apply for PR after working 2 years in New Zealand; or apply for PR directly when I am in New Zealand,in the mean time look for a job no matter whether I can find one? Which option is wiser,or more practical or easier to succeed?
    Mother Bear replied:You can only apply for PR directly if your job skill is on the LTSSL. If you have a job offer, it must be skilled or proven that no kiwi can be found to do the job. It can't be just 'any job' if you are applying for a work-type visa/permit.

My question:Mother bear,you suggested in the end of your reply that I could also consider work permit under my bf's PR status,that is a good idea.But my question is,my visitor's visa expires on June.4,2001 and I will arrive in Acukland on Oct.23,2009,it means I still have about 7 months to stay on my visitor's visa once I enter NZ.How long does it usually take to issue my PR once I apply for it? Should I apply for it right after I enter NZ?In the mean time,can I also ask my bf to apply for my work permit under partnership so that I can start working while I am waiting for my PR? Can I apply for work permit while I have already lodged my PR application? Or do you have better advice on my situation?How long does it usually to take to apply for a work permit under partnership,namely on my bf's PR status?

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Kitty

Default Something to add

Oops, please let me add something to my former post. The immigration advisor who did assessment for me told me that I need a skilled job before I start applying for PR,so it seems I cant apply for PR directly then??? So what now? Hmmm,please advise....Please read my last post to understand what I have got to add here,thanks a lot.

Awaiting advice....

Kitty

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KittyWu View Post
    The immigration advisor who did assessment for me told me that I need a skilled job before I start applying for PR,so it seems I cant apply for PR directly then???
    It depends on whether a person's job skills are on the LTSSL. If they are, they don't need to have a job offer to apply for PR. Other people who have skills that aren't on the LTSSL but are still needed in NZ can work their way to residency by getting a Work to Residence visa. This is a bit more about it. For this visa you would need a skilled job offer and you would work in this job (or one similar) for 2 years before applying for PR. It is a longer way of getting PR but at least you get there in the end.

If you apply for a work visa/permit through partnership you don't need to have a job offer. You will be given up to a 2-year work visa if you have been in the relationship for a year or more. Once you have been living together for a minimum period of 12 months, you can apply for residency under the Partnership Policy with your boyfriend acting as sponsor. The temporary work visa will allow you to complete the 12 months living together requirement that you will need before you can apply for residency. You will be able to work during this time if you wish.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Thank you

Thank you so much MotherBear,

Thank you for your reply.

Kitty