Thread: Aussie bringing Argentine Girlfriend to NZ to work...

vidareal is offline Junior Member

Default Aussie bringing Argentine Girlfriend to NZ to work...

Hi all.

I am Irish but having spent 4 years in Australia a couple of years ago... i got the australian passport.

I am now living in Buenos Aires and my girlfriend ..who is Argentine...and I.. would now like to spend maybe a year in NZ.

I can obviously work in NZ because of my Australian passport but my girlfriend would only be eligible for a visitor visa...which i believe would only be for 3 months.

I would be grateful if ye could suggest what would be best course of action so that we could stay at least a year...with minimum visa hassles for my girlfriend.

Ideally it would be great if she could work...

Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If she is 30 years old or under she could apply for a Working Holiday Visa. She wouldn't be allowed to work all the time because the main purpose of a WHV is for holidaying, but she could still do some work. A WHV should be fairly easy to get.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you very much for your quick reply and especially for the link. 1000 places for all is quite low....i think Irish get over 10K or something...but i am hoping the funds requirement will deter others so we might have a better chance.

One last question if i may....Lets say she is not successful in getting the working holiday visa.....would there be any problem here leaving and entering the country every 3 months...i guess that is pretty normal right?

Thanks..from Buenos Aires

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

There is nothing much that would give you a better chance of getting the Working Holiday Visa, first in first served until they are all taken up.
    The earlier you apply the better!

It is the easiest visa to get, you can apply online and all you need is your passport handy.
    Once the visa is approved you have 1year to arrive in NZ and get it transfered to a permit (you dont have to do anything, they stamp her passport with a work permit stamp and that s it when you arrive in NZ)

Once you are here she can work all kinds of jobs but she will have to switch between jobs as she won't be allowed to work for one employer for more than 3months...

If after the year you decide to stay longer I am sure as you hold the aussie passport and would be able to show that you are here long term you can apply for a work permit for her under partnership... so it s all pretty straight forward!
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Sorry also if the places are all taken for the year Immigration puts a little note on their news page saying that they are full.
    Until that happens there is not much that would stop her from getting it.. if she doesnt have a bad police record or done anything else wrong (that s all the questions they ask in the from) then usually you get your visa through within about 24hours!

As for travelling in and out, it is an option, but she would have to go back to a country where she is allowed to live at, meaning where her passport is from.
    And immigration do get suspicious when you do it too often... She might be eligable to apply for an extension for a 6months visitor visa though..

I dont think you ll have to go down that route though :)
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidareal View Post
    Lets say she is not successful in getting the working holiday visa.....would there be any problem here leaving and entering the country every 3 months...i guess that is pretty normal right?
    The usual thing with visit visas is that, if you are in the country for 3 months, you have to stay out for 3 months. With us Brits, if we are in NZ for 6 months (we get a 6-month visa), we have to stay out for 6 months, unless we apply to extend. I know a lot of countries allow you to hop on a plane or drive over the border and come straight back in on a new visa, but NZ isn't that tourist-friendly in that respect, I'm afraid.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks again for all the replies.

I found this

Friday, 23/1/09
    The New Zealand Embassy in Buenos Aires confirms that the quota of 1000 working holiday visas for Argentina 2009/10 will open on the 1st October 2009.

There are no working holiday visas left for the 2008/09 year.
    so the visas went within a couple of months last year....we will apply for her on the 1st of october this year.

Yeah...the visitor idea might not be that great....its far easier here in Argentina...i am actually heading over by ferry to Uruguay tomorrow to renew my visitor visa...60 euros return... 1 hour ferry journey...how easier can it get

tnks again for all yer input.