Thread: WHV to WP to PR?

OneCurlyFry is offline Junior Member

Default WHV to WP to PR?

Hi there,

I?m rather interested to see how this all works?.

I?ve worked for 3 years in IT as a computer support technician (shortly, a Network support technician), which are both on the areas of immediate skills shortage. I do not, however, hold the 4-year bachelors degree in Computer Science (Business degree w/ IT emphasis is in progress, but would not qualify).

Does this mean I cannot come into NZ as a skilled migrant, because I don?t have the degree in the proper field, even if I am trained professionally?

In light of thinking about this, I?ve looked into getting the WHV, as I?m only 24. The plan for now would be to fly to NZ, spend 1-2 months backpacking around NZ, and along the way determine which city I?d want to work in, then find a job.

However, the WHV states "you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary WP while you're here)".

So how does this work? I get a WHV, travel until I'm done, interview for & receive job offer, apply for WP, start working?

If I want to stay, I can then apply for PR? I'm a little worried about the points process - because if my qualifications don't get me the extra 50 points, I'll only have 120 when I apply (assuming I have a job offer).

Thoughts? Thanks!

Scott

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi

My OH is also in IT- he's got a few years on you but he too has no degree or sufficiant qualification.
    We are still going the skilled migrant route to get full PR straight away- he can do this if he gets a job offer of permanent employment.

As for the points you need 100 points to go into the pool- if you get 120 with a job offer then you should have no problems- especially with the job offer being an immediate skill shortage.

Hope that helps you put a little.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

So is he flying to NZ to find the job, or going the "over the phone interview" route?

Thanks for the info on the 120 points.. I feel loads better!

Scott

Blog Entries

We fly out to Welli on 24th March- he will see what interviews he can line up before we go but it will be much easier to get a job being there in person.

Yeah that's what I've read... it's the reason I decided to go with WHV first - so I can travel some, and then find a job when I'm there, and comfortable with where I want to live.

Can you fly straight into Wellington? Or do you fly to Auckland and then Welly?

I've a friend in chch, was thinking about starting with dumping my suitcases at his house while I hike around SI , but figured I'd spend some days on NI first if I had to fly into Auck.

Blog Entries

Yes you have to fly to Auckalnd first.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OneCurlyFry View Post
    I get a WHV, travel until I'm done, interview for & receive job offer, apply for WP, start working?

If I want to stay, I can then apply for PR? I'm a little worried about the points process - because if my qualifications don't get me the extra 50 points, I'll only have 120 when I apply (assuming I have a job offer).
    You could do it the WHV way and do all your travelling at the beginning and then look for a job and work at it until just before the visa expires, then apply for a WP. Alternatively you could travel to NZ on a Visit Visa, do your travelling and then look for work. Once you have a job offer you can apply for a WP. If you hold a WP you can, at the same time, put in your application for PR. If you have 120 points, that's enough to allow you to apply but, if you gain some NZ work experience as well meanwhile, that should help you even more.

I think maybe you have to be coming into NZ from Oz to be able to fly directly into Wellie or Chch.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.