Thread: what should i do next?

gummibear is offline Junior Member

Default what should i do next?

hello everyone,

I tryed to apply for work visa under partnership but it rejected but immigration give me visitor visa for 9 months instead. I live in Thailand any my partner lives in NZ. Our relationship is over 3 years and we were engaged last year. We can't stay together as immigration said because i have to study in Thailand. That why we are not in case of " living together at least 12 moths" I'll fly to Nz on May to jion with my partner to prove our relationship so i have some questions :
    1. When i arrive NZ how long i have to wait untill i can apply for " work visa under partnership" ?
    2. While i hold visitor visa can i get part time job?

thank you,

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Gummibear and

On here there is a thread about Work Permits and the Partnership Policy which might have some useful information for you. It seems to say that if you apply for a Work Permit under the Partnership Policy they should give you one for long enough to allow you to live together long enough to apply for PR under the Partnership Policy. I was very surprised to learn about this because usually you have to live together for 12 months. They keep this bit secret and you have to go a different route to find it .

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident
    You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your New Zealand partner.

They say 'in a genuine and stable relationship' and not that you should be living together for 12+months. And they also say.... If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa or permit that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

You would not be allowed to work if you enter NZ on a tourist visa. You need either a Working Holiday Visa if you're under 31 years old or a Work Permit.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you MB ur always helpful I have one more question:

If i arrive there with VV and about a week later i got a job offer, can i start to try to apply for WP?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

As soon as you have a job offer you can apply for a Work Permit . You will need your WP to be able to start work.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you for all information