Thread: Work to residence query

froggy is offline Junior Member

Default Work to residence query

Hi,

I have a query regarding work to residence. My partner is trying to find a sponsored job through an agency to go to New Zealand next year (his profession is on the long term skilled shortage), and we wanted really to apply then for work to residence visa and later on, for PR once in NZ. I'm not really keen on applying for PR straight away, even with a job offer, as I think that would be more difficult and risky. Am I right in thinking that ? And also more expensive I believe. My partner would meet the points number but just I think, unless I have my degree recognised by NZQA which means extra spendings. I would feel more comfortable in going for work to residence first. Can anybody advise me on this ?

Many thanks.
    Froggy.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Froggy

I don't know that getting PR would be 'more risky' as long as you have enough points and satisfy all the other criteria, a lot of which you would have to undertake for the WTR route anyway.

With the WTR you are tied to one employer for 2 years so it's a gamble whether you get a job you're happy with. With PR you can choose who to work for and can move about within the job market as you wish (unless you have a Section 18A imposed where you have to stay with the original employer for 3 months, I believe).

If your partner is looking for a job now and wants to apply for a WTR visa yet you don't intend going to NZ until next year, you need to be careful about timing. I think there's some ruling where you have to take up the position within a certain time of getting the visa, maybe 3 months. If you have any kind of long term visa like the WTR and then go on to make an application for PR, I think it's right that you'll have to do your medicals and police certificates twice over to cover each application because of the time lag in between. If you apply for PR alone, you would only need to do them once.

If your partner wants a visa to work on and then apply for PR fairly soon after arriving in NZ, he could get a short term Work Permit to allow him to work and then submit the PR application, which will take several months to be processed anyway. I'm not really clear on when you are hoping to submit your PR application.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

froggy is offline Junior Member

Hi Mother Bear,

Thanks for your reply. We're thinking of applying for PR about 1 year after being in NZ. I still prefer this way I think, even if we have to pay again for medicals and police records, as anyway, PR through an agency is very expensive. We would do it ourselves afterwards. I know my partner will be stuck 2 years in one job, but I'm sure he will cope even if he doesn't like the job that much (hopefully not). He's been working 5 years now and hates his job !
    Thanks for your advice.

Froggy.