Thread: Looking for advice to join partner in NZ

kenny is offline Junior Member

Post Looking for advice to join partner in NZ

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any experience that they could share getting a work permit to be with a partner in NZ.

My partner is a NZ national, we met while she was on a working holiday visa within the UK. We have been together for a year and two months now but we dont have the all important proof of living together for 12 months so I can join her.

I cannot apply for a working holiday visa as I am over 30.

Since my partner left the UK in Sept we looked to getting her back to the UK but that was a very big brick wall we hit there.

I went over to see her at the start of Dec and I have to admit, I loved the place.

We both desperatley want to be together, so my question is, Can I get a work permit without a job to go and join her to gain the year we need to apply for further visas? This would allow us to be together while I can earn a crust.

Any help would be appreciated as my head now hurts after reading web sites.....

Thanks

Kenny

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Kenny, welcome to MoveToNZ.

When you were together in the UK, did you live together then? I've read the following on the INZ site and often wonder if there's a reason why they have it on there and whether there is a loophole for those who have previously spent time living together (and have proof of this) and if you can lump that period together with any future time living together, if the timings aren't too far apart, that is. No doubt you would have to have a good reason for the separation, but it almost sounds to me like there is something worth looking into here.

Please note: If you have been living apart from your partner for any significant period during your relationship, you must also provide evidence of the length of any periods of separation, the reasons for them, and how your relationship was maintained during these periods.

'Can you get a WP without a job offer?' The answer is 'No' I'm afraid. The best you could do is to travel to NZ on a Visit Visa and try to find a job from within the country. Once you have an offer of employment in a suitable occupation you can then apply for a WP.

They don't make it easy.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi Kenny!!

I like your thread :) as i m in exactly the same situation as you.. wanting to be with my partner in nz

I m not quite sure if what mb said is correct about having to have a job offer!
    Far as I know, if you apply for the work permit under partnership you do not need to have a job offer! And I am 99% sure that you dont!

It doesn't matter how long you've lived together either, as the rules are:
    If you have been living together for a year or more you might get a work permit for up to 2years, if you have been living together for less than 1year, you might get a work permit for up to 1year.

I was also told, that they will initually only grant a work permit for the same amount of time you can prove that you have lived together. So say if you can prove that you have lived together for 3months, you might only get a work permit for 3months initually, but once you are together you can then apply for extensions...

Yes I agree they do make it hard, but as the regulations are that you have to live together for at least 12months before you can apply for residence, they do have to give you the chance to live together for that time. They can't expect your partner to leave the country and live on the northpole for 12months just so that you 2 can be together.

There are alot of laws and regulations concerning partners and families as almost every country supports partnerships and families!
    I m not sure why it would be so hard for her to come to the uk?

But anyway, I advise you to call nz immigration in aukland, this is their number
    +64 9 914 4100. I have called them a few times and have to say that some advise has been very helpful!
    You are best off though calling them a few times and asking the same question because different people will give you different advise!!!
    Actually you are even better off getting your partner in nz to call them, it always looks better when a kiwi calls in to find out how to bring their partner to nz, rather than you trying to get 'in' .. if you know what I mean? :)

Good luck and maybe let me know how you go..
    Simone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiaora!! View Post
    I m not quite sure if what mb said is correct about having to have a job offer!

Far as I know, if you apply for the work permit under partnership you do not need to have a job offer! And I am 99% sure that you dont!
    When I said about needing to have a job offer to get a WP, I didn't mean under the Partnership Policy. I meant if you just want to get a WP to stay in NZ without getting in under any other visa type and I was taking it in the context in which Kenny asked about the WP. I assumed he wanted to be able to get into NZ on a WP to enable him to stay long enough with his partner to allow him to apply under the Partnership Policy.
    Mother Bear

Hi MB!!!!!
    yep that makes sense

But since he has a NZ partner why wouldn't he apply under partnership in the first place?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiaora!! View Post
    But since he has a NZ partner why wouldn't he apply under partnership in the first place?
    Because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by kenny
    We both desperatley want to be together, so my question is, Can I get a work permit without a job to go and join her to gain the year we need to apply for further visas? This would allow us to be together while I can earn a crust.
    I'm sure Kenny would be more than happy to apply under the PP if he could. He can't at the moment because he's not got the 12 months living together thing and he's wondering if he can still go to NZ under a WP so that he can do the living together thing and then apply once the 12 months is done.
    Mother Bear

hm maybe I m getting it all wrong here, but as he hasnt got the 12months together he can still apply for a work permit under partnership. it doesnt matter how long you have lived together to apply for that, you just have to prove that you have been together and been living together for part of that.. I m sure they ll have some mail that went to the same address or something if they really have lived together...

Only difference is if you havent lived together for a year you can initially only get a work permit for up to 1year

Temporary work permit:

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your New Zealand partner. Your partner must:

* be eligible to sponsor you for residence under our Partnership policy within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications?
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa or permit that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.

Blog Entries

This is a quick check for those wanting to sponsor a partner which states that you need to have lived together for 12+ months, so there is obviously a separate ruling for those who apply for a WP, which I must admit I've never heard of before. Thank you for pointing it out. It has always been set in stone that a) you can't get a WP without a job offer and b) you always need to have lived with your partner for the required 12 months. I wonder if this is a new change as the page was updated in November.

In this case, INZ appears to have altered the definition of genuine and stable relationship which, it was always taken for granted, meant living together for 12 months. Perhaps they have finally got themselves a heart and realise that couples do need to find a way to be together in NZ. It will be a great relief to a lot of people although it somewhat undermines the reason for the previous restrictions i.e. to prevent unscrupulous partners from latching onto citizens or residents in order to gain NZ residency or citizenship and then disappearing, having got what they wanted.
    Mother Bear

Yes fortunatelly there is no 12months rule anymore for a WP!
    BUT, they said that they will initially only grant a permit for the amount of time you can prove you have lived together and then extend it from there...

I guess they are still careful and you have to still prove that you are in a relationship which to some people might not be so easy.

Re people latching on to get a visa.. I guess this is a problem many many countries have! It s sad because its not nice when someone thinks your relationship is 'fake' when all you want is to be with the person you love!

Tough, but no different in any other country... I think Germany is even stricter and they suspect every relationship and wedding to be fake, as if Germany was the best country in the world oh well....