Thread: Need your expert opinion :)

raghu123 is offline Junior Member

Default Need your expert opinion :)

Hi Mother Bear,
    Warm greetings from India
    I am Raghu from India. I work as a Technical Writer (Software Documentation) and have close to 4 yes experience in this area including Insturctional Design (developing e-learning content). Recently i have got married and my wife works for GE. She worked as a Technical Support representative for 2 .5 years and recently was allowed to shift to IT side as a DBA. I have a Chemical Engineering degree and she is a Elecrtonics Engineering graduate. She plans to do her Oracle DBA certifiation in another 4 months,

Now i have appled for PGDIP in business management and PGDIP in IT computing for higher studies program in NZ and hope to find a job after comepletion of the course. I will be given 1 year work visa to find a job after the course and while i am studying my spouse would be given a work visa to work for an year.

Now my query is how good is this move. I intend to get a job, a WP and finally a PR. I have already asked my wife to start applying for jobs online on NZ job portals. Do you have any suggestion that can help us, We got married last month and want to take this plunge as a young couple.

Thanks and Regards
    Raghu

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Raghu, welcome to the forum.

I've moved you to your very own thread rather than sharing someone else's.

It is always worth trying to find jobs before going to NZ, but not so easy to get one from outside the country. Many employers prefer to see you face to face and realise, because you have made the commitment to travel to NZ, that you are serious about working there. It's not impossible to get a job from outside, but be prepared to visit NZ for job-hunting if you aren't successful.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

raghu123 is offline Junior Member

Default Appreciate your advice and thanks for your time

Hi Mother Bear,

I am sure you are right. Wanted to know if you have nay idea how a management PG dip in Unitec NZ would help me get a job. I mean if i really try hard , can i crack a job.

I also have an option of working holday visa to the UK. but i am seeing PR in NZ.
    So which one makes sense. Can you suggest? What's yr take on this..

love and regards
    Raghu

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry I have no idea what a 'management PG dip in Unitec NZ' is let alone whether it would get you a job. I think if you really try hard at anything useful to you, it can't be a bad thing. Even with the best qualifications no one can guarantee you will get a job, but it is more likely that you will.

WHV for the UK or PR in NZ? . I guess you could try either or both, but not at the same time, of course .. If you are undecided you could spend some time in the UK having a look around if you haven't been there before. It's an opportunity while you are still young. If you find you like it you could consider what you'd like to do next. Alternatively you could try for PR in NZ but you need to meet the strict criteria required by INZ. It's a pity that you can't get a WHV for NZ because you could go there and use the time to apply for jobs as well as travelling around seeing the country. The only other way to find a job would be to go to NZ on a Visit Visa and make enquiries. Some people are lucky enough to get a job offer from outside NZ, but it's not that common as employers usually like to meet you face to face.

I don't think anyone would be willing to decide for you whether you should go to the UK or to NZ. It should be your choice. I would suggest you fully research both countries and the opportunities you might find in them and perhaps the answer will become apparent to you. I hope so.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.