Thread: Electricians??

gill is offline Junior Member

Red face Electricians??

Hiya
    Does anyone here have any idea what qualifications are needed to work in NZ as an electrician? Cant seem to find much info on the NZ Govt. website
    Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Gill,

I tried to get into a site where it tells you about the various C & G levels needed for immigration purposes, but the site is either down or my link is now defunct. I'll try it again later.

Meanwhile I'll put up this link to the EWRB which may or may not give you the answer, but it might prove useful anyway.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Stella is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gill View Post
    Hiya
    Does anyone here have any idea what qualifications are needed to work in NZ as an electrician? Cant seem to find much info on the NZ Govt. website
    Thanks
    Hi Gill
    This is the first time I can give some info for someone.My hubby is an electrician and we are buzy getting all his info ready to send it to NZ to see if they accept his qualifications. Go to this website www.ewrb.govt.nz It is the electrical workers registration board (EWRB) you will get all your info there and all the applications everything an electrician need to get and know before going to NZ

gill is offline Junior Member

Default hi stella

hiya
    thanks for your reply, i will get my husband to check out that website as he will probably understand it better than me hehe. are you thinking about the emigration thing too? what a minefield it all is but i just love this site, someone always has an answer

johnty is offline Senior Member

hi gill
    may be to late (normally am) we are not on broad band or the phone for that matter yet .
    i am sparky and went through the immigration process from the uk.you will need to have city and guilds part 1 & 2 (though i have heard that they will count experiance if no quals)
    now ther is a bit of a catch 22 you need to get registered with the ewrb to enable you to work as a sparky but you need a job to be able to get registered.
    so what you need to do is get employers past and present to give detailed letters of the types of work and materials you worked with (not normal refs as if you were going for a job)i.e types of cable ,steel ,pyro and so on. and get that along with any quals sent of to the ewrb (may take up to 8 weeks) then all being well you will get a letter back stating that once you have found a employer they will issue you with a provisional licence.then any potential employer will no its just a time and one exam thing till you are kiwi qualified.also the nzis will want this letter.
    now nzis will not give you pr if you do not have a job to go to but if you have your letter from ewrb and all the other immigration boxes ticked they will give you defered residency which means you have to complete 3 months work in a 6 month period and get your provisional licence which once you got an employer and previously mentioned ewrb letter its just about 6 weeks.
    but depending on how far into the process you are and where you want to be (canterbury has a big need for sparkys)its much easier to get here and job hunt and once you here and have a job offer the immigration process is much quicker
    took us about 18 months applying form the uk.
    hope thats helped a bit
    once we get connected and i am not sitting outside the caltex filling station using there wifi and watching the battery on my lap top i will hope to be more help and getting on the forum a bit more
    all the best
    johnty