Thread: ? quota for whv

rayns is offline Junior Member

Default ? quota for whv

hi

i am nz citizen in the process of applying for my husband a whv with the hope to make him a resident. (my husband is an indian national) we are living in india at the moment and are making plans to go to nz early next year.

reading thru this forum there was mention about quotas.
    how do i find out when or if the quotas are full?
    is there set times that it is better to put the applications in?
    is the beginning of the year best or can i go ahead and put my husbands application in next month (dec) like planned?

thanks
    rayns

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

to the forum, Rayns.

From what I can see, there isn't anything that says people from India can apply under the Working Holiday scheme, as you can see here .

Citizens and passport holders from the following countries are entitled to work in New Zealand under the Working Holiday Scheme:

Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Chile, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay

Instead couldn't your husband apply for Permanent Residence under the Partnership Policy? You could start his application as soon as you want, so that it is, at least, in the system and gives him a good start before you go to NZ next year, as it may take several months for his application to be processed.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks for the welcome and the advise

we have not been together for 12 months and as such we arent able to go for the residence visa until we hit the 12 month mark
    (which will be april next year)
    but i have to go to nz at the end of march at the very latest so we miss the mark by a couple of weeks

i went to the new delhi office, they told me to go for the work visa (is that different from the work holiday visa?) then when we are in nz we will then be able to go ahead with the residence visa

then i rang them a couple of weeks later asking about this 12month thing again and how do we get around it. their reply was the same, go for the work visa
    do the police check, complete med and xray, marriage cert and photos, support letter from me etc..

they also told me that it could take 10weeks to process so i thought that if i put the work visa in now then by march we could go home. am i dreaming

i have looked into it, got all the papers (i think = 9 in total) and there is no mention of quotas only that the nzis has 13900 positions p.a. for bringing family members together

i am really glad to have found this web sight as we are pretty much doing it on our own and feed back is most welcome

thanks
    rayns

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayns View Post
    i went to the new delhi office, they told me to go for the work visa (is that different from the work holiday visa?)
    Yes a work visa is quite different to a WHV. A WHV is more suited to those people who want to take on a bit of casual work for a few months and spend the rest of the time seeing something of NZ e.g. backpackers and young travellers. You need to be 30 years or under to be able to apply.

To be able to apply for a Work Permit, your husband needs to get a job offer. You can read here what he needs to be able to apply. Here's another link with information about Work Permits . It would be a good way to get him into NZ and working while you wait to qualify under the 12-month living together rule.
    Mother Bear

Red face

thanks again for the advice

we are going for the work visa not the work permit as my husband has not got a job offer. under the work visa requirements, it doesnt appear that he needs a job offer at this stage. (as far as i can see anyhow)

also
    how do we "prove" a stable and genuiene relationship?

i am confussed, how do you show a stranger at nzis that you love someone?
    thanks
    rayns

Blog Entries

A work visa is the same as a work permit - with the visa you apply from outside NZ and with the permit you are applying from inside NZ. If you get a work visa and then travel to NZ it will be converted into a work permit when you enter the country. I believe he would still need a job offer to apply although it doesn't always make it clear on the INZ site until you go digging around. There are different types of work visas with different requirements so you need to carefully read what it says about the requirements for each one.

This is what it says in the INZ Operations Manual....

WG1 General work policy
    See WG1 Effective 24/07/2006
    See WG1 Effective 22/05/2006
    See WG1 Effective 04/04/2005
    See WG1 Effective 29/04/2004

General work policy contributes to the overall work policy objective (see W1) by allowing New Zealand employers to recruit temporary workers from overseas to meet particular or seasonal worker shortages that cannot be met from within New Zealand while protecting employment opportunities, for New Zealand citizens and residents.

To be issued with a work visa or granted a work permit under general work policy applicants must:

provide an offer of employment in an occupation that is included on the current Immediate Skill Shortage List (ISSL) or the current Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) (see WG2) issued by the NZIS; or
    provide an offer of employment from a New Zealand employer who has a current approval in principle from the NZIS (see WG3) for the recruitment of the applicant(s); or
    provide an offer of employment and a supporting case from a New Zealand employer (see WG4) establishing that there are no New Zealand citizens or residents suitably qualified by training and experience who are available (see WG1.1); or
    meet the requirements specified for one of the other categories listed in WG5, or for WG6 or WG8.

Employers must meet the requirements in W2.10.5 relating to compliance with employment and immigration law in force in New Zealand and offers of employment must contain the information in W2.10.10.

Where required by general work policy the availability of New Zealand citizens or residents will be determined by carrying out a labour market test (see WG3.10).

With having to prove your relationship, you can submit documents with both your names on that cover a period of more than 12 months e.g. bank statements or utility bills, photographs that cover this period (although how INZ can tell when these are taken I don't know unless the photos are dated), letters from companies addressed to you both etc. Basically, INZ are looking for things with dates and both your names on, so they can tie you together over the 12-month period. I think it's to stop things like marriages of convenience where people get together just so one of them can gain NZ PR and then they go separate ways.

F2.5.15 Evidence of living together in a genuine and stable marriage

Evidence that the principal applicant* and spouse are living together may include but is not limited to original or certified copies of documents showing shared accommodation such as:

a joint mortgage
    a joint tenancy agreement or rent book
    correspondence (including postmarked envelopes) addressed to both principal applicant* and spouse at the same address.

If a couple has been living separately for any period during their marriage, they should provide evidence of the length of the periods of separation and the reasons for them.

Evidence about whether the marriage is genuine and stable may include but is not limited to original or certified copies of:

birth certificates of their children
    evidence of communication between the couple
    proof of joint assets
    proof of shared income
    proof of shared bank accounts
    photographs of the couple together
    documents indicating public recognition of the marriage.

Evidence about these matters can be considered up until the date of final decision*.
    Mother Bear

thanks mother bear for the info

its helpful to have

cheers rayns