Thread: how much money to bring?

trichef is offline Junior Member

Default how much money to bring?

Hi everyone!! I'm new here. I am from the Philippines and would like to move to NZ. I am 25 years old and single. I just graduated from culinary school and looking for a job offer in NZ, however, not one employer would take me because of my limited qualifications (esp work experience). I'v heard about paid apprenticeship programs in NZ but not quite sure if this is a good way thru getting a WP. I've also thought of going to NZ as a tourist and try my luck in applying for a job while I'm there but I'm worried that I'd go home empty-handed. Could someone give me an idea how much I'll be spending if I go there with a VV and look for a job in the hospitality industry? Are there enough jobs to apply for? Any advice will be much appreciated!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Trichef,

to MoveToNZ.

How much money you need to survive on depends on what standard of living you're expecting and what you're prepared to do to save on your living expenses. Being single, you have the option to share accommodation and you can adjust your expenses to suit yourself rather than having to worry about serving the needs of a family. I think the guide figure that's suggested is about $1,000 per month.

If you need to gain more experience in your field, NZ experience is obviously the best kind to have but, as you say, it may be difficult to find someone who will take you with very little experience. If you can afford to visit NZ and look for work in person, it may be better for you, especially if you are prepared to start at the bottom and work your way up. That way you will be able to show what you are capable of and will gain an employer's confidence. Trying to get an apprenticeship is another way of getting in. If you look at this previous thread there are some links in my post that relate to apprenticeships.

If you're looking for a job in the hospitality industry, you would be better looking at places that get a lot of tourism, like the cities and also Queenstown in South Island, but pick any job offers carefully as they might only be seasonal and you might find yourself out of work in the offpeak season.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.