Thread: Work Permit - PR, how long and how difficult?

KANA is offline Junior Member

Smile Work Permit - PR, how long and how difficult?

Hi first time to post here, I'm so glad to find this forum to ask you questions!
    I have a partner in NZ and he is running a tourist business. We first looked for the option to get under partnership category, but doe to his condition we cannot do that at the moment, so we are thinking if he can employ me for the company.

I'm intending to apply to PR soon too, so I'd like to know...

A) if it is possible to apply to PR soon after getting WP (before 2 years of working)

B) if we should hire a consultant, as a consultant said because the company is in tourism, it is originally not on the shortage skill list, so i need to be careful about the job description and the position to get PR in future. but we are wondering if we can do it by ourselves without paying 2000NZD.

C) if it is really difficult to get PR if the job offer is in tourism, I have a degree, 2 years work experience (not in NZ), under 30 and living outside of Auckland. I was helping my partner last year when I was in NZ with WHV, but I don't think NZIS will consider this as work experience...

I'd be really appreciate if anybody can tell me advice. Thank you so much.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Kana,

to MoveToNZ.

The consultant is right in saying that you need to be careful about choosing a job that will allow you to apply for PR. In some cases you can get a job offer, apply for a Work Permit, then when you have enough NZ experience under your belt, you can apply for PR. I believe there may be some jobs in tourism that could get you PR, but I imagine they would be pretty high up the scale.

May I ask in what field your degree and work experience are and in which country you got your degree? It may be better for you to apply with those if they are on the skills shortages list rather than go straight into tourism. At least they might get you PR and, if there aren't any conditions attached to your PR, you could then move on to working in your partner's company.

If you are in a suitable job and have a WP, you can apply for PR, but the deciding factor is being in 'a suitable job'. There are WPs under different policies and you would need to fit in with certain conditions on these.

As for timing, it depends on how busy the NZIS is at the time you apply and how quickly they want to push you through i.e. those with badly needed skills would have preference, I would think.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KANA is offline Junior Member

Hi MotherBear, thank you very much for welcoming me!
    My degree is in education, and I got it in Japan, and even though i have a teaching lisence I'm aware of that it wouldn't be quarified in NZ as they have different education system so I thought it would be difficult to apply with them.
    I was working as system and advertising manager in a small company and I have skills of web designing etc but no quarification on them.
    I can get the job as a manager again (because my partner's company is not so big) if it would be better for PR.
    I was hoping to get PR soon after getting WP if possible... do you think it would be hard without getting NZ experience first?

Blog Entries

If you were to go the Work to Residence route, your partner?s business would have to be accredited (i.e. approved by NZIS) and your job would have to pay you at least NZ$50,000, as you can see here . If you tried to apply by any other route you would need to show that you have either qualifications or several years? experience in that particular type of job. I?m afraid it doesn?t appear that there is any quick way for you to get PR.

The best option, of course, would have been for you to apply under the Partnership policy as you would only need to prove that you have been living with him for 12 months, but you say that your partner?s circumstances won?t allow this. I really don?t know what to suggest other than a temporary WP, which won?t give you what you want i.e. PR.

I don?t know if anyone else on here has any suggestions.
    Mother Bear

canadianchick is offline Junior Member

Cool have wp going for residencey want to marry kiwi

Hi there..

I hope I do this right as this is my first time..I am here on wp thru partnership for 3.5years...now going for residency ..I want to marry a kiwi in March does anyone know if you are able to marry in NZ on a work permit ? as I don't know if residency will have gone thru by then...thanks heaps...

Blog Entries

Hi Canadianchick,

to MoveToNZ.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't anything to prevent you marrying whether you're on a Visit Visa, WP or any other type of visa/permit. Just make sure you keep INZ informed of any changes so that they can amend your file.

BTW
    Mother Bear

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

Just read your post and thought I'd share what i read today.

On the immigration webside is clearly stated that marriage is a lawful porpose to travel to New Zealand, even if you are on a tourist visa you are allowed to get married.

As MB said, just keep them informed about the changes, not only because it might be important for the outcome of your application but also because it shows them your commitment to keep them informed, and your honesty.

Simone