Thread: No visas until december?:sad:

guillerollero is offline Junior Member

Default No visas until december?:sad:

Hi! I read in the government page that there are no more visas for the Working Holiday squeme for Argentina and Im really dissapointed. I have planned my trip for October and I really do not want to wait so much. Is there another way of doing it? If I go to Nz with a tourist visa and from there I try to get my Working Holiday visa, will I get it before? In case I have to wait until december, is there another visa I can get in the mean time to work? Im really sad with this news, because I have to come back in August to finish uni, and I wanted to stay as much as possible
    Thanks for the help...
    Guillermina

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Guillermina

Bad luck that you've missed this year's quota for Argentinian WHVs. I'm not sure, but I don't think you could still apply for one even if you were in NZ as they would still class you as Argentinian and, as you know, the quota for Argentina is full.

Another route to people use to get to work in NZ is to go there on a Visit Visa and look for a job while they're there. Once they have a job offer they can apply for a Work Permit . WPs can be issued for a year up to 3 years. Usually it doesn't take long to get a WP, but I guess it depends on how busy the relevant immigration office is at the time. However, I don't know whether you would be looking for work in what is classed as a skilled area. Take a look on here at the conditions for applying for a WP and see if you fit into any of the categories. If you're a student, is there any way you can tie your visit to NZ with your studies as, on the quick check, it mentions about students coming to NZ to work as a way of furthering their education. If you were studying languages, particularly English, maybe you could get in that way?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

WHV's can only be applied for from outside of NZ, so coming here and applying for one would certainly end up in it being declined. As MB said, the only other option is a work permit, but that usually ties you to an employer, and needs to be in a skilled field.

I guess the quota for Argentina must be pretty low
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi...well, I'm a bit confused...can I do it or not? I know I can do it online (just found out) but now my main question would be this: Can I start the paper work BEFORE the date when the quota is opened again? Because if that's the case, then I just might wait. If the 8th my visa would be ready or about to, it is not the same to start to paper work on that date, which would mean another three weeks waiting!..Thanks you guys...sorry my anxiety, I have been waiting for long :(
    Guille

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Hi,

WHV's can only be applied for from outside of NZ....
    About half way down this page there's a little chart about whether you have to submit an X ray and medical report and it states 'If you are applying in NZ' so maybe you can apply from within the country.

Guille, I assume you mean you want to know if you can apply for a WHV rather than a WP?

Looking at the same page in the above link, near the bottom under Can I start an online application then save it and finish it off at a later date? it says Be aware that some Working Holiday Schemes have a limited number of places and a delay could mean that available places are filled.

To me this sounds like you could possibly submit your online application before December. It's just that you shouldn't expect to hear anything until after the quota opens again on the 8th. That's how I read it anyway. How long it would take them to approve your application I couldn't say, but at least it will be registered with NZIS ready for them to look at.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi! Thanks mother bear!!
    I am in fact wishing to get a working holiday visa rather than a permit. For what I read in the government page, the permit seems much more complicated to obtain. Anyway, I'm still waiting for a reply since I wrote them an e-mail, so I might have my answer soon. Otherwise I will travel to Buenos Aires and go to the embassy personaly so I can found out whether I can start the process BEFORE december. The problem is that I tried to do so on-line and the system does not allow me, but maybe if I do it personaly I can. Thanks for the info anyway!!!