Thread: Working Holiday or Work to Reside?

sleepy is offline Junior Member

Default Working Holiday or Work to Reside?

EDIT : Actually I think I may have mis read it ... looks like it might be the case that you need to have a job offer to go the Work to reside route?

ARGHHHHH, been reading more into this whole thing again tonight, just when I thought I'd figured it all out another element of confusion arises it's ugly head, and slaps me across the face!

I figured it would be pretty unlikely that I'd be able to find a job before I intend I leave so was planning on going over on a working Visa, then looking for work on that, then applying for residency when I secure a job.

Now im wondering if the Working Visa is the best way to go about it?
    Or should I be looking at the Work to Reside visa?

The working holiday visa allows you to stay for up to 2 years, and the Work to reside lets you stay for 3 years ... does that mean it's a lot harder to get, takes longer and costs more than a working visa?

Will a Work to reside visa make the process of getting Residency easier than applying from a Working Holiday visa?
    Is it also the case that on a Working Holiday visa there are only certain jobs you can do? Like bar work, vineyards etc ... non "skilled" type jobs, or did I just make that up?

Thanks for any replies ... again, when I finlly get out there I'll buy you all a pint, or a stubbie ... and I'll bring some tins of peas for whoever it was that missed them
    Last edited by sleepy; 13-07-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The work to residency category is only available to people who dont fit the bill for any other category. There's some strict requirements, such as your job being of a certain type, and you earning at least $50,000 per year.

Seriously, stick to your original working holiday visa plan and go from there. It's the easiest way to hit the ground running as if you get a good job offer, you wont risk losing it as you can work for anyone doing anything straight away.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

sleepy is offline Junior Member

Cool, thanks Taffy