Thread: Is Work permit the best option?

migp is offline Junior Member

Default Is Work permit the best option?

Hello!

My partner and I plan to settle in NZ, we are from Cape Town, SA.

We are both somewhat unsure of what our best option ito being able to settle in NZ would be.

Part of me would like to go the "safer" route, EOI and then hopefully ITA etc. But, neither of us seem to have the skills/qualifications that are required. I am a Human Resource Manager with +10 years experience in that field - but no degree/diploma etc. My partner has a clerical/admin background - she has approx 5 years experience.

Applying for a job from SA is proving to be impossible, which I can understand - I would also not employ anyone that I have not had the opportunity to meet face-to-face!

We are now considering heading off to NZ as tourists and applying for work and the relevant permits from there. I just need reassurance from some of you that this would indeed be the better option - or not, for that matter?

It is a huge decision for us and failure is not an option, as if we were to fail, we would have nothing to come "home" to.

As I type this, I feel I am being engulfed by fear of the prospect of NZ - fear of failure, the unknown, rejection - but yet I know that we HAVE to do this as neither of us are prepared to continue living in SA.

We have both done a lot of research into NZ and the whole immigration process, but it seems the more research I do, the more uncertain i become of what our BEST options would in fact be.

Any tips or advice would be seriously appreciated!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Migp, welcome to MoveToNZ.

I quite sympathise with you when you say you're uncertain about the whole immigration process. It's a very confusing one and the NZIS site is like the black hole, you fall in and can't find the way back out again. It's OK if you fit into all the slots neatly, but if you don't it can be a problem trying to make a round peg fit into a square hole.

Many people who can't find another way into NZ do go on Visit Visas and then look for work when they're there, as you've suggested. When a suitable job is found, you can apply for Work Permits which allow you up to 3 years in NZ. During this time you can gain NZ work experience which can be important when totting up points. This method is fraught with risks and similar to stepping off a cliff, but many have done it and succeeded. That's not to say some also have failed for a variety of reasons.

There is a debate currently going on here with conflicting information regarding whether a degree is vital for a PR application or not. Perhaps you've already read it. The NZIS site and, indeed, information coming from their offices is very ambiguous and confusing. I don't suppose your partner is an admin manager, as that is listed by NZIS? Have you double-checked that your job title as Manager isn't on the list, too? NZIS seem big on bringing in manager-type people.

I don't see South Africa on the list of countries that are entitled to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, so that doesn't appear to be an option. That would have meant, if you're under 30, you could apply for one, which, again, would entitle you to enter NZ for long enough to find a job and then apply for a WP.

So, short of being an investor in NZ (requiring an investment of $1m) or starting your own business (requiring previous experience of same in SA), it looks like you're left with the tourist way in, I'm afraid.

Sorry, I'm not being much help, despite being sympathetic to your dilemma. I hope someone else can add more helpful information.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I would have to say, above all else, is to find out that there's a chance that if you come over to NZ, there's a way of gaining PR. The fact that you are a manager can certainly be used, although probably not in the HR field.

What sort of jobs would you be looking for? We can see if there's something that fits.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks for the welcome!

Taffy, if we were to look for jobs in NZ, I guess we would have to take what we could get - at least to build up "NZ experience". But HR is pretty much the only field I have any significant experience in - as a generalist my experience covers a variety areas from Employment Disputes to Employee Assistance, Training to Recruitment etc.

I would really enjoy doing something Training related. I am also a musician in my spare time - for what thats worth!

Mother Bear, I am relieved to find that I am not the only one who has found this process to be confusing.

Which list are you referring to? I have checked the long-term and immediate short skills lists, but I do not recall seeing anything relating to Admin Manager? is there another list that I should be aware of? (A secret one perhaps?)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by migp View Post
    Which list are you referring to? I have checked the long-term and immediate short skills lists, but I do not recall seeing anything relating to Admin Manager? is there another list that I should be aware of? (A secret one perhaps?)
    If you look on this link , second post down, I've put a little link to the relevant list on there. ShellBda on here is an Admin Manager and is hoping to apply under that title.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

NZGirl is offline Junior Member

Default Hi I am from South Africa Too

Hi there,

i saw your post and thought i would send you a message to say i know how daunting it is, My husband and I are in the process of emmigrating to New Zealand, we were so unsure after reading so much information that my husband decided to get on the plane and go and see whats it like for himself.

To reassure you he says it is Great out there, we are just waiting for our house to sell and then we are going.

We are taking the path of going there and getting a job whilst there, my husband says there is no reason why we as professional will find it hard to get jobs, and by reading your background i doubt you will struggle to find work.

There is a big south african community in the Northshore and New Zealanders are receptive to South Africans.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Erika

Quote Originally Posted by migp View Post
    Hello!

My partner and I plan to settle in NZ, we are from Cape Town, SA.

We are both somewhat unsure of what our best option ito being able to settle in NZ would be.

Part of me would like to go the "safer" route, EOI and then hopefully ITA etc. But, neither of us seem to have the skills/qualifications that are required. I am a Human Resource Manager with +10 years experience in that field - but no degree/diploma etc. My partner has a clerical/admin background - she has approx 5 years experience.

Applying for a job from SA is proving to be impossible, which I can understand - I would also not employ anyone that I have not had the opportunity to meet face-to-face!

We are now considering heading off to NZ as tourists and applying for work and the relevant permits from there. I just need reassurance from some of you that this would indeed be the better option - or not, for that matter?

It is a huge decision for us and failure is not an option, as if we were to fail, we would have nothing to come "home" to.

As I type this, I feel I am being engulfed by fear of the prospect of NZ - fear of failure, the unknown, rejection - but yet I know that we HAVE to do this as neither of us are prepared to continue living in SA.

We have both done a lot of research into NZ and the whole immigration process, but it seems the more research I do, the more uncertain i become of what our BEST options would in fact be.

Any tips or advice would be seriously appreciated!

Hi Erika

Thank you for your support - it is always good to know there are (many) others who can relate to my concerns!

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel though - despite what many people in NZ (employment agents, immigration advisor etc) have been telling us, my partner has a telephonic interview tomorrow for a perm position as an office manager. (We were told that this "does not happen anymore" in NZ)

I have also just learned today that an application I forwarded for a training and development manager position is being considered - so who knows?

Failing which, yes i suppose we will just take the plunge and go for it!!! Of course, if either of use do get offered a job before we get there it will be panic stations as it wont give us much time to do the myriad of things one would have to do. (Don't even talk about selling the house - I dread to see how the new credit act is going to effect that!)

Erika, whereabouts in SA are you from?

Miguel