Thread: Work permit for 16 year old?

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Work permit for 16 year old?

Ay up muckers, our Lauren is bound to want to get a job for a bit before she goes to college or whatever next January. I'm assuming she'll have to await the intake of a new college year so as not to miss any of the course. So, she'll be kicking around for 6 months doing note. She has said she would like to get a job (fab idea I reckon and she's already proved she can do it well here. i.e. the post about MacFods cafe!). Soooo, assuming one of us gets our work permit what then? Will she be allowed to get a part time job or a full time job or what at 16 as long as she applies for a WP? Can she apply for a WP at 16?

Thanks y'all
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Dawn,

As you are no doubt aware, if you and/or Gaz get a Work Permit, Lauren will automatically get a Student Permit which entitles her to study in NZ. The wording on the NZIS site says

If you are in NZ on a Visitor or Student Permit and engage in employment without authority, your permit may be revoked and you may be required to leave NZ.

If you read through this, about half way down it talks about working while on a Student Permit and mentions the special circumstances under which a student can take on work.

However, with Lauren wanting to work before she's actually started on her course, I'm not sure how that would pan out. I was also trying to find out if there was any age restriction on a young person working, like if you had to be over 17, for example, but I couldn't see anything.

Have a read through that NZIS stuff and see if it makes any sense to you. It's getting a bit late here and I think my brain has shut up shop for the day. Can't seem to take in any more info .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Thanks MB you are fabbo yo know. When you move to NZ I'm going to adopt you as my second mummy! Congratulations! You now have three new grandchildren!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land