Thread: Any nurses - can you help?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Any nurses - can you help?

To submit my EOI with enough points I need a job offer - however it seems that most DHB's won't make a job offer until PR or a work permit have been granted. I need PR as I can't afford to pay the school fees for my 2 boys otherwise (without PR I understand they would be classed as international students and be liable for those fees). How have others got round this or is there no solution?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

My better half is a practcing nurse here now. At the NZ Expo, she found that aslong as she had experience, quite a few DHBs would be able to offer her jobs. But we were getting our PR with my skills.

Jacky also got in contact with a few agencies and found TONIX to be very very helpful. If you can pre-register with the New Zealand Nursing Council, this should be a step in right direction to securing a job offer.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nick
    Last edited by nick_and_jacky; 07-06-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

What part of NZ are you looking at moving to? I know New Zealand Shores have agreements with some DHBs who offer to pay for a work permit if you are what they are looking for. I believe it's on a case basis, but could be worth a look? Could land you a job and at least a work permit!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick_and_jacky View Post
    Jacky also got in contact with a few agencies and found TONIX to be very very helpful. If you can pre-register with the New Zealand Nursing Council, this should be a step in right direction to securing a job offer.

Nick
    I have registered with Tonix and am in the process of registering with the NZ Nursing Council. I just had a sudden panic when I realised that I may need PR before I can apply for a job but need a job before I can apply for PR. A 'chicken & egg' situation. If I had 2 years experience when I submit my EOI it would not be a problem (I would have 100 points instead of 80) but I won;t have 2 years experinec until Sept 2008 which is when I want to be in NZ. Just waiting for Tonix to get back to me with any suggestions. I thought someone on here may have had a similar issue.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

firing1 is offline Member

Hi Nick,
    As Taffy mentioned we (newlifenewzealand) are working very closely with DHB's to recruit nurses from overseas. Kristy who works with us used to work in recruitment at Hamilton hospital so has all the right contacts. Get in touch with me and I'll pass you onto Kristy at our office.

cheers

Paul

alifox is offline Junior Member

Post confusing eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    I have registered with Tonix and am in the process of registering with the NZ Nursing Council. I just had a sudden panic when I realised that I may need PR before I can apply for a job but need a job before I can apply for PR. A 'chicken & egg' situation. If I had 2 years experience when I submit my EOI it would not be a problem (I would have 100 points instead of 80) but I won;t have 2 years experinec until Sept 2008 which is when I want to be in NZ. Just waiting for Tonix to get back to me with any suggestions. I thought someone on here may have had a similar issue.
    I am in a similar postion to you in that I am waiting for Nurse registration. Should came soon as I sent the last bit of paperwork last week ( again, as I sent it a month ago, but they say they haven't had it) I have been advised by NZIS not to submit my EOI until I have a job offer. I have registered with Tonix, and after only a week I've got a telephone interview in 2 days time! Heidi from Tonix is great, and assures me that things will move really quickly, and feels that I will be looking at Oct/ Nov. She cant see why I need a job offer for the EOI, as I'm on 130 points without a job offer ( been qualified for 15 years!). I will see how I go on the interview, then will ask Heidi again re submitting my EOI. My advice to you is to chase Tonix up, as they have been really good with my questions. I worry that thing won't come together, but as Heidi keeps telling me, UK nurses are in big demand in NZ, so I'm sure you will be fine. Didn't realise about the school fees, but once you have pr, you'll be fine! HTH, Ali.

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Nurses in Bay of Plenty

Hi, I am a midwife and work for the Bay of Plenty DHB. I did not have PR when I applied for a job, I just asked the Human Resources dept if they had any jobs. That got the ball rolling. I know there are vacancies at Tauranga and Whakatane hospital. Just go onto the Bay of Plenty DHB website.
    Hope it helps.
    Vee