Thread: Gap year work

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Gap year work

Me again.
    My friend has a dilemna, her daughter is on her gap year and has been let down by a friend, she wanted to travel Europe. She asked if it is possible to come here (NZ) and do a bit of work temporarily. I suggested coming here as my au-pair. What does she need to do, can she work for me, how long will it take. She is 19. She doesn't intend staying as she is going to University next year.
    Vee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Vee,

Mmmmm, difficult. She wouldn't be allowed to work on a Visitor's Visa so she would need a Work Permit. However, with a WP, as with a lot of other visas/permits, the employer needs to prove that a kiwi couldn't do the job over an 'outsider' and the job needs to have a skill element to it to qualify.

What would happen if she came over on a VV and worked for you on the quiet, I don't know, suffice to say, if you were found out, it could possibly have serious consequences. There's nothing to stop her going down there for up to 9 months on a VV, but working without a permit would be severely frowned upon by NZIS.

We had a lady on here a short while ago asking if she could bring her maid into NZ when she immigrated, but the answer was 'No', but that was on a permanent basis.

Thinking about it , as she's under 30 years old, she could apply for a Working Holiday Visa which does allow some work although the main purpose of the visa is for holidaying. She could get a 12-month one which should sort her out and seems to be her best bet.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

I was just going to suggest the 12month WHV with this you dont need medicals so it's just your application.

You can work in permy or contract work for the 12months and if she likes it she can extend it to the 23month WHV but would need a medical submitted and she would still only be able to work the 12months out of the 23.

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, very helpful info. I remember the maid issue, that is why I thought I had better enquire, although she is only coming for 6 weeks. I told her to check on NZ immigration website for advice etc., as she wants to come here ASAP. Don't know how long it will take. I thought I would get into trouble if she was with me and working, don't want to get kicked out too soon.
    Vee