Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary work permit to join partner

south is offline Junior Member

Default Temporary work permit to join partner

Hello again!

Last time I posted on this forum I decided to go over to join my partner on a student visa. This however has shown to be way to expensive.

My partner is now in NZ and awaiting my arrival

As we did live together for a year I will not be granted a 2 year visa but we do have a lot of evidence showing that we are in a stable relationship.
    I saw on the NZ immigration website tht I might be able to get a temporary workpermit until we've lived together for long enough.
    Temporary work requirements family stream

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience in this?
    I'm not sure if it's better to apply while I'm here in Ireland or to go over on a V.V and do it from there.

What I've read on other websites these permits can be issued on the day of application if you go over to the imigration office yourself.

Any info and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

You can sometimes walk in a get a permit there and then, but that depends on which office you walk in to and how busy they are at the time.

I think the general feeling is that applying from within NZ is easier, but at the same time the most risky if something goes wrong!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi South, good to 'see' you again.

The one point about applying for a WP is that you need a job offer in hand before you approach NZIS, so maybe looking for a job would be a good starting point.

As Taffy says, getting a WP, once you have a job offer, shouldn't take very long and can even be the same day if you're prepared to stand in line and have all the necessary requirements with you so there aren't any holdups.

Doing it from NZ would be easier and probably cheaper all round if you happen to be going there anyway. You'd stand a much better chance of getting a job if you're in the country, too.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks guys!

The thing is that the nz immigration website states
    'If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:
    you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    you apply for residence as a partner.'

I gather they mean an open permit which means I can work for anyone and are not bounded to one company. I do plan to go over and look for work a.s.a.p as I'm sure this will help my application. But if I do not get work I'm hoping I will still be qualifying for a temporary permit until my partner and myself have been living for long enough so I can apply for P.R

Blog Entries

Hi South,

Yes, it looks like you qualify for a short period partners permit, which allows you to work for whoever you want. Gives you a nive bit of breathing space to find yourself the perfect job for residency!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Lets hope.
    I'm just wondering now if I should get a full medical scan and police certs for both my home country and the country in which I'm living in now as the permit will only be for 12 months max but I do intend to apply for PR eventually.

Blog Entries

Hi,

Where are you living at the moment? If you don't need to get medicals and police certs, they may well expire before you apply for residency! Bit of an expensive hobby!
    Taffy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The police certificates only last for 6 months and the medicals are worse at 3 months. Bit expensive to do now if you're going to have to wait quite a while before you can submit your application.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

I'm in Ireland. It will take me 3 months to get a police cert from my home country so if I might need it I'd should send in a request for it a.s.a.p.

Blog Entries

Ahh right, thats quite a while to wait for it. 3 months wait for that, and 6 months until expiry should see you alright then
    Taffy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast