Thread: Work Visa / Job Offer

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Work Visa / Job Offer

Hello,

I know this has been covered somewhere else on the forum but I couldn't find the thread.

My understanding is: I need a job offer in order to apply (or prospective employer) for a work permit but I need a work permit in order to get a job offer???

I have seen jobs advertised and they say that "you need to have a work permit in order to apply for this position" - I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

Am I missing something (and I don't mean brain cells!)

Thanks,
    Shell

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Shell,

You're not missing anything. Those statements are meant to put you off applying, because usually the recruitment company is too lazy to deal with someone off shore who may never turn up and they just want to make a quick buck. They are also factually incorrect as you can't possibly hold a work permit without a job, and even if you already had a job and were looking to apply for a different one, you'd need to apply for a new permit anyway!

You don't need a work permit to get a job offer, you just need one to start work.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Shell,

Yes, as Taffy says, it's only some employers that insist on your having a permit in place before they offer you a job. There is no legality attached to this - it's purelly down to the way they want to work it. There are plenty of jobs out there where employers are prepared to wait until you get a permit and that shouldn't take long.

Many people have been put off by the 'permit first' attitude and think their attempts at getting a job are stuffed. Not true. It's just a case of perservering until you find an employer who'll accept you without one. Not accepting people who don't have a permit is one way that NZ is losing out on a lot of good workers. Really, NZIS should standardise the procedure and make it a rule that all employers must consider people with or without a permit, then everyone would know where they stand

It's only because of highlighting this problem on forums such as this, that folks aren't completely put off immigrating because they feel they aren't entitled to apply for a job.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Smile Other crazy girl from Bermuda...

Just continuing on with the Job/visa issue...are employers in the hospitality industry open to foreigners applying? Also, how long do you have to work for them once you are invited to apply for residency?

Have to say, I am so excited about making the move to NZ and raising my son there...seems like a year is too long to wait...far too long!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Bermy Girl,

May I officially welcome you to MoveToNZ. Great to see you on here alongside your jolly mate ShellBda.

Onto your esteemed question , yes the hospitality trade is open to employing foreigners but I guess it depends on which line of tourism you're looking at. As you will see from this , tourism is listed and you?ll see which areas are involved most in the trade.

Can I ask which visa you?re applying for initially when you ask how long you have to work for a company once you?ve had your ITA? I?m not quite clear on the question. For example, if you apply for a Work Visa/Permit you have to work for the same company named on your visa for the duration of that visa unless you apply to vary it e.g. if you got a job with another company. If you?ve applied for PR and been granted a Work to Residence Visa instead, you have to work for the same company for 2 years, after which your visa should be converted to PR. I?m not sure where you fit into all this?..or it?s just a bit late and the old brain?s gone to bed ahead of me and I?m missing something.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Default Thanks for the welcome...

Thanks Mother Bear for the welcome. I am hoping to apply for residence under the skilled migrant section, I have 105 points without a skilled job offer. I have over ten years experience in management in the restaurant and bar trade and have been general manager of a pub & restaurant for the last three years. Ultimately I would like to get a skilled management job in the hospitality industry for as long as I need to and then I would like to shift industries. I am looking at pursuing my graduate degree in Management, so that I can change industries more easily.

I'm not sure whether I have answered everything or not...nothing new!

Cheers:rolleyes:

Blog Entries

Well, if you can't wait a year, maybe you and your Barmy Bermy friend should look at the business visa and buy a restaurant or something! You've got an office manager, and a hospitality manager, perfect combination!

Whether you'd ever get any work done is another matter though
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Believe it or not Taffy, that was our original intention but, that would take a lot of money.

Blog Entries

Ah yes, money. Curses to it, root of all evil

Actually though, you'd be suprised at just how cheap you can pick up a business for here. You don't need to launch with buying a Hilton Hotel franchise!
    Taffy