Thread: How long for Work Permit?

bstar is offline Member

Default How long for Work Permit?

I guess this is the 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I was wanting to know from peoples experience how long it takes to get a work permit? I have a job offer in NZ, and putting in my application for work permit next week. How long does this normally take?
    Everything is getting a little stressful pulling things together, and including when to hand in my notice of my current job.
    I also have an ITA, so just waiting for my police report to come back as well......

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

You're right, very much a piece of string question, but I believe they are obliged to process it within 60 days. I know when I applied for mine, it took nearly that long to process, whereas others have got their visa the same day by going to the immigration office.

You should join in some of the games in the Coffee House to relieve some of that stress
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've been preparing this and just noticed that Taffy has beaten me to it. Never mind, I'll post it anyway even if it duplicates some of what he's already said.

Hi Bstar

Welcome to MoveToNZ.

Sorry to hear you're so stressed out. I think a lot of people can identify with this feeling. Timing is often critical because there's so many balls to keep up in the air at the same time and you need them all to fall neatly in order just when you're ready.

You're quite right when you say 'how long is a piece of string' with regard to applying for a WP. I've known people stand in line and get the permit the same day, whereas others have waited several months, but I think the latter was due to hold ups with medical certficates etc. Generally though, WPs are issued fairly quickly and we're taking maybe a couple of weeks at the most. If you have everything ready that's necessary for your application and especially if you have a job offer, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're only applying for a short term WP to fill in while you're waiting for your PR process to go through, you shouldn't need to wait for medicals and police certificates as they are only needed if your WP is for 12 months or more. However, if you want a WP for 6 months or more you still need to send in an X-ray report.

I hope things settle down and fall into place for you soon. You're dealing with 2 processes at the moment which would be confusing for most people.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

bstar is offline Member

Thank you for your advice from experience...I will keep my fingers and toes crossed and keep updated how I get on!