Thread: WTR to PR

priya is offline Junior Member

Default WTR to PR

Hi All,

We got Work To Residence Visa ( skilled immigrant) and moved to Auckland in April 2006. My husband is the primary applicant . Both of us got job ( he is working as Contractor and I'm in Permanent position) .

We applied for PR on August 2006 . ( with all the relevant document: 3 months salary, bank statement , letter from employer ) . Its been almost 8 months and we have not got any info on our status . We tried contacting our visa officer ( very hard to communicate as VO never replies the phone calls or emails ) but unable to get any info on status .

Has anyone converted WTR to PR ? How long does it usually take to get the status of the application .

It will be of great help if someone can give info .

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

to the forum, Priya.

I think you have to work for a minimum of 2 years in your jobs in NZ before going forward for PR. Perhaps this is the problem. In any case, your Case Officer at NZIS should communicate with you. Perhaps you should ask to be put with someone else who is more pro-active. If nothing else, it's not very professional of him/her to just ignore you.

Take a look at this , which shows the route from WTR to PR. If you look lower down, you can see what happens after WTR is granted. It's very basic but you can see that they do specify that you need to have worked for 2 years in NZ and also that your salaries should be a minimum of $45,000.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

WacksBaby is offline Junior Member

Smile WTR to PR

If you entered New Zealand as WTR (under Skilled Migrant Category) then you don't need to wait for 2 years, 3 months is more than enough as stated in the requirements or documentation that they have given us. When I applied for PR (from WTR) it only took me less than 2 months for the application when my Permanent Residency has been granted. But if you enter New Zealand as a Work Visa/Permit holder then you have to have at least 2 years working here AND salary must be at least $45,000 NZD p.a. (at the time of this writing).

Good luck!

Best wishes,
    Harold

gnom is offline Member

The WTR holder has to wait at least two years before PR. With the WP you can apply always.

@WacksBaby are you sure you had a WTR?
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

Blog Entries

I think it could be that, if you have a WTR under the Skilled Migrant Category because maybe you didn't have enough points etc. to apply for PR then, if there comes a time when you are in a position to apply for PR e.g. your points have increased, you can submit your PR application before the 2 years is finished. Some people use the WTR way of getting into NZ rather than going straight for PR because it is quicker to process if they are in a hurry to get to NZ.
    Mother Bear

WacksBaby is offline Junior Member

@Gnom

Yes I entered New Zealand as a WTR holder. After I acquired my skilled job I submitted my PR application within 3 months as stated in the documents that I have. At that time, I think, you need to wait for 2 years before filing for PR if and only if you applied for WP plus must meet the minimum salary stated.

Cheers,
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by gnom View Post
    The WTR holder has to wait at least two years before PR. With the WP you can apply always.

@WacksBaby are you sure you had a WTR?

trinkets_08 is offline Junior Member

hi! this forum has been really helpful especially this thread. so big thanks!

i got a question. i'm holding a WTR visa with the deferral letter discussing the requirements for getting the PR. as soon as i have them (contract, payslips etc), where do i submit them? i keep on reading that as soon as you are qualified, you can get your residence application reassessed but to where.. case officer, visa officer, support officer or physical immigration office?

i had a consultant for my application where WTR was granted. but for the next step, i'm doing it on my own. i hope you guys can clear this for me. thank you in advance.
    Last edited by trinkets_08; 30-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trinkets_08 View Post
    i keep on reading that as soon as you are qualified, you can get your residence application reassessed but to where.. case officer, visa officer, support officer or physical immigration office?
    Visa Officer and Case Officer, as far as I know, are the same thing/person and probably Support Officer would be the same as I've never heard of this term. If you already have a case officer, I would guess you would need to contact him/her once you've completed the necessary criteria to go on to residency. Otherwise it would be the INZ branch you are dealing with.
    Mother Bear

trinkets_08 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Visa Officer and Case Officer, as far as I know, are the same thing/person and probably Support Officer would be the same as I've never heard of this term. If you already have a case officer, I would guess you would need to contact him/her once you've completed the necessary criteria to go on to residency. Otherwise it would be the INZ branch you are dealing with.
    if i remember it right, visa and case officers are 2 different people. visa officer is the one who conducted the interview while case officer is the one who handled ITA stage. on the other hand, support officer is the signatory on our deferral/visa letter. we can probably ask the latter as well. thank you!