Thread: Business migration - V Early days!

ajruk is offline Junior Member

Default Business migration - V Early days!

Hi, My names antony, and I am 28. I am currently in Greece working as a property developer with partner and child whose 2. I have been here about 1 year, otherwise I have lived in the UK my whole life. I am looking to migrate to new zealand as a Business owner. I am looking to buy a public house, or restaurant in Auckland. I have (or will have) approximately 850000nzd. I have 2 real questions for you! 1) I havent ever been self employed, or ran my own business. Whilst I know this wont be a problem for me, I believe it can cause problems with the application. 2) I was arrested and did some community service about 8 years ago for a fight I was involved in. Will this be a problem?

I appreciate any help you can give me regarding this. I am looking to move in about 12-24 months, so there's no rush, but I wanted to be prepared!

Many Thanks

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Anthony,

Getting in on a business visa without experience... Well, ordinarily I'd say the odds are against you, but if you read up on what another member, Macfod, went through, I'd be tempted to change my mind!

Ordinarily speaking though, without any experience in running a business, or any experience with a bar or restaurant, it will be an uphill struggle. The regulations for a LTBV state that experience is a requirement. Maybe you could use the 12-24 months to get some bar work experience!

Whether or not your fight will affect your chances or not depends on the circumstances surrounding it. NZ Immigration look at these on a case basis. One fight, 8 years ago with community service doesnt sound too much of an issue.

Welcome to the forum, anyway :)
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

many thanks for you response. I am expecting a struggle! I do have plenty of experience, but it was years ago, and how on earth could I prove it? I could get many references, but I assume they want more solid proof than that?

Business plans etc, are not a problem, and I have the cash.... Just the experience to satisfy them, that could be tricky!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Anthony. Let me add my ‘Welcome’ to that of Taffy’s. I’ve tried to post this twice previously but lost it due to my phone line continually dropping out. Third time lucky, eh? :rolleyes:

As has been said, getting into NZ via a LTBV can present problems if you don’t satisfy their usually strict criteria, but, as has been seen, Macfod managed it against all odds, so it can be done. If you haven’t already, you can read about his incredible feat in getting his LTBP against all odds here and here . We were really concerned for him, but he came through with flying colours. If he can do it ………

I think one major point he had going for him was that he bought a business and employed kiwi staff which is what the NZIS is particularly in favour of. If a migrant wants to start up a business, it is hoped that he/she will be providing jobs for kiwis. If you could convince NZIS that you would be able to employ staff, it certainly wouldn’t do any harm to your application. If you can get any references to your past relevant experience in the trade, as they say, anything is better than nothing. Grab what you can. It all helps.

In the long term, if you felt that you weren’t going to be successful with getting a LTBV, you could try to get a manager’s job in the NZ hospitality trade, apply for a Work Permit and spend some time ‘refreshing’ your experience, as well as earning Brownie points for having NZ experience. Alternatively, in the short term, as Taffy suggests, finding a similar job in Greece while you’re waiting to go to NZ, would also give you that valuable experience. You have the time to explore these possibilities, so it would be good to make use of it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi MB,

Thanks for the welcome! Everyone seems nice on here... I could easily manage a bar, here in Greece for the next year, the problem is how could I actually prove it? Being as I am a property developer, I have a lot of free time. Problem is, out here everything is done very differently if you know what I mean! Everything is paid cash, and whilst I can get references, they will be very hard to backup! It's as they say "the greek way"! I certainly will be looking to hire KIWIS. My total financial budget, should be 850000nzd, which I would spend a majority on a small business if necessary, and borrow more if need-be (though I don't plan too). Like Macfod, I have had enough of the UK, and I moved to Greece. Problem here, is my son is now 2, and I dont rate the schools here at all. I have had many friends migrate Australia, but I have always preferred NZ, due to climate and the people. I currently have 3 houses in the pipeline being built, so I am stuck here until they are built and sold. Hence the 1 year wait! I am extremely grateful for any tips and advice, you can give! Oh I am flying out in November, to have a look around!

Thanks Again

Antony

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Antony,

Welcome to the forum 8)

Have you thought about coming across on another visa and then setting up a business once you're in?

That could be the way to go if you are struggling to prove your experience and what not...

You may also want to start talking to some owners in your business area across here and see if they can offer to help out in anyway? Just a thought..

Hope things go smoother than you expect them too.

good luck!

Hi Amy,

That seems like a pretty good idea actually. Does anyone know, Can I actually setup/buy a business on a 1 year visa? Also, if I have a business already set-up and hiring Kiwis, does that increase my chances?

Thanks

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Antony,

I'm not too sure how things would work on the one year visa.

The 23 month WHV we have, have the same rules as the one year Working Holiday Visa which allows us to take up perm employment for 12 months. We're moving to do PR in Aug whilst still on this Visa.

You could even come across on a WHV (as long as you are under the age of 30) and then apply for PR when you're across as then you'd be able to pick up Work Experience. It may take you a little longer to get a business but at least you'd be in the country. If you cant come across on the WHV you could even approach businesses to see if they'd sponsor you and you could do it that way? We know some people who did that at the end of last year. Came across and got sponsored and just rcvd PR this month. The only catch is they have to work for their sponsors for 2yrs?!?

Not sure about any of the other Visa's unfortunately.

Good Luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajruk View Post
    Does anyone know, Can I actually setup/buy a business on a 1 year visa? Also, if I have a business already set-up and hiring Kiwis, does that increase my chances?
    Previously I would have said that you couldn't buy a business without first having PR or at least a LTBV, but Macfod has just turned that one on its head. It just shows you, there are ways around it. Perhaps he can give you some advice about how he did it.

Mark? ;)

Here's a link to the NZIS site regarding visas for starting a business and this takes you to the main page relating to starting a business in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.