Thread: How can I join my Partner. Help!

south is offline Junior Member

Default How can I join my Partner. Help!

My Irish Partner has recently applied for permanent residency as a skilled migrant. He already had a job offer but we were still a bit suprised when he got accepted immediately. If all goes well he will be leaving for New Zealand in two months time. We have been in a stable relationship for the past year and half. The problem is we've only recently moved in together and except for holidays taken together, lots of photos and a 5 month old joined bank account we can not prove our relationship.

We thought that the joined bank account would be our strongest evidence but my partner has never actually put any money into the account and from reading an article recently I think that could a problem.

I am a South African Citizen and can not apply for a working holiday. I also do not have enough points to let me apply for residency. We don't know what to do!

Has anyone had a similar problem or can anyone give us some advice? We're desperate!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How can I join my Partner. Help!

Hi South, welcome aboard.

Perhaps the only way you could join your partner in NZ would be to find a job there yourself and apply for a Work Permit. That should allow you enough time to set up home with him in NZ and notch up those all-important months of living together. You could then apply under the Partnership Category once you've completed the 12-month period.

Hope you can work something out. :)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the advice Mother Bear!

I considered that option but since I work in Catering Management and don't have any certified qualifications behind my name I don't think I will even be considered. :(

I'm considering going over on a student visa as I have decided to do a degree in accounting. Does anyone know if it is possible to go over as a part time international student or will I have to enroll full time?

I read that you have to have at least 10,000 NZD funds per year to support yourself. As my partner will be paying for all my living expenses, including accomodation, I'm wondering if that will lower the amount needed?

Cheers
    South

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

South, we are upping the whole family to go over on visitors visas with the hope of landing jobs when we get there. My partner has a degree but doesn't have a very good job here and his job isn't relevant to his qualification so he doesn't get any points for experience. I've got loads of ex[erience but no quals just like you but I am certain I can land a job when I'm there. Meeting people face to face stands for more than a CV from 12000 miles away. Why not try, you never know and there are plenty of other people that have succeeded in doing it this way too.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

I'd come across on a VV as well if I were you and chance my luck.

I have been so surprised how obliging employers are here. I've been employed by two who said that if I knew I'd be settling in Wellington they'd back me for my work visa or PR.

Kiwi's like to see dedicated people and if you are across here looking for work it show's your dedicated to NZ and thats what they love!

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I've been thinking hard about it for a while and have decided to apply for a student visa as I've been putting off further studies for far too long and this is as good excuse as ever. :)

I do have another question though.

As my partner will be going over on a skilled migrant visa will he be able to sponsor me to stay in NZ after living there together for a year? We wil obviously open a joint bank account (in which BOTH of us will be putting money into this time) :)

Or does he have to be a resident for 2 years before he can sponsor me?
    As far as I can tell he wil be able to sponsor me in a years time but not sure.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I believe you should be able to apply under the Partnership policy once you've done the deed and lived together for 12 months. ? This tells you what makes an eligible sponsor and it doesn't mention having to wait until he's held PR for 2 years. ?It does state though that he shouldn't have previously been sponsored himself, otherwise he'd have to wait for 5 years before sponsoring you. ?

This sets out the requirements under the Partnership policy. ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

:) Thanks again mother bear!