Thread: About job offers

omarus is offline Junior Member

Default About job offers

Hi! I've been thinking of moving to New Zealand for a while, I know I can apply for residence after working ther for two years, but before that I would need to get a work permit and that seems impossible without a job offer. Being a mixture of farm -life lover and intellectual( I have farm experience and I have also taught English as a second language in public schools- my mother tongue is Spanish, I am Uruguayan),how do you think I can get around to find a job offer that would suit me... and the authorities. Thank you, Walter.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: About job offers

Hi Omarus,

Welcome to Move to NZ.

I would think applying for teaching jobs would be the better option if you want to work in NZ, as teachers are in short supply. ?It is often very difficult to get a job offer from outside NZ and, if they can afford to do it, some people travel to NZ on a Visit Visa to meet employers face to face and have more success that way. ?They either go on a holiday to look for work a short while before they want to immigrate or they enter NZ with the intention of looking for work and then staying there. ?Once you have a job offer you can apply for a Work Permit which shouldn't take very long to come through - only a few days, although some people have had them the same day as they applied.

I'm not sure, but I think you may have to be registered as a teacher in NZ before you can work as one. ?Another thing to think about is whether your teaching qualification will be recognised in NZ. ?To apply for residence your qualifications must be assessed by the NZQA if they aren't from a recognised college or university.

If you prefer to go to NZ to work on a farm you could enter NZ on a Visit Visa, look for work and then get a Work Permit to allow you to work legally. ?I really don't think that farming would enable you to get residence though, as your job needs to be on the Skills Shortages List and you would need to be qualified in some way.

I don't think it's as easy to get residence in NZ as just working for 2 years. NZ is only interested in granting people residence who have special and much needed skills.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rahaman is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    I am also having the same thinking. I am gng to apply for NZ immigration . i am from India ,working as Software Engineer in SaudiArabia . can anybody tell me how long it will take time to process my PR in months .? while my PR is on processing , can i get a job offer and work in NZ under temporary work visa ? while porcessing my PR, can i visit NZ in visit visa and get a job and work for 2 yrs ? please give any useful suggestion .

thanks in advance

Blog Entries

PR can take anything from a couple of months to nearly a year to go through. It depends on several things like how many points you have, whether you have a job offer, whether you have any problems with the police or medical certificates and how busy NZIS is at the time you apply and how badly they want you there.

If you can get a job offer you can apply for a Work Permit which shouldn't take long to get. You can also go to NZ to look for work on a Visit Visa and apply for your WP from there, while your PR application is going through or even before you submit it. If you enter NZ on a VV, you shouldn't tell immigration that you are looking for work because working on a VV is not allowed.

If your PR application goes in and you get a job offer later, you should let NZIS know if you get a job offer because it will affect your application (in a good way :)).
    Mother Bear

rahaman is offline Junior Member

thanks mother bear. so it will not be problem for me to go to nz in VV and apply for work permit while my PR is on process? pls reply ..

thanks

Blog Entries

No it shouldn't be a problem but you will have to get a job offer before you can apply for a WP and you can't work with one. Those are the things to remember.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear