Thread: Contracting in NZ

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Contracting in NZ

Hi

Just to give you a bit info if you become a Contractor in NZ you have to be GST registered and then this allows you to claim back travel expenses, tax etc back. Kinda similar to if you are self employed I suppose.

Just thought I'd share this with you. As far as I can tell if you temp you dont need to do this though. I aint got a clue what the differences between Temp and Contract are here but there appears to be a difference. When I get time I'll try and find out for you.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Contracting in NZ

If you are temping, you are employed by the company or an agency directly, who pay your salary and deal with your tax. Contracting usually means you are paid as an external entity, effectively making you self employed.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

spidermonkey is offline Junior Member

Would it be possible to do contracting work on a working holiday visa? Would I need to set up a company to trade under?

Thanks

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Both Stu and I are contrators and arent set up as a company. ?Some places will ask that you become GST (tax) registered but thats all.

Neither of us are at the moment. ?