Thread: EOI after work to residence visa granted????

pjay1 is offline Junior Member

Default EOI after work to residence visa granted????

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have just had our work to residence visas granted and we'll be jetting off at the end of this month :-/ Does anyone know whether we can lodge an EOI after arriving in NZ??? I'm hoping this will allow us to get PR quicker. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance, pjay1

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EOI after work to residence visa granted????

Pjay1. Welcome to the forum.[smiley=006.gif]

As far as I can see, if you have a WTR visa, you just have to work in the same job for 3 months, then you can have your visa converted to PR. Of course, this all depends on whether you have a job to go to or whether you'll be job hunting when you get to NZ, which would obviously take longer. If you do already have a job, I'd have thought working for the 3 months would be quicker than starting from scratch with an EOI.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

pjay1 is offline Junior Member

?Pjay1. ?Welcome to the forum.[smiley=006.gif]

As far as I can see, if you have a WTR visa, you just have to work in the same job for 3 months, then you can have your visa converted to PR. ?Of course, this all depends on whether you have a job to go to or whether you'll be job hunting when you get to NZ, which would obviously take longer. ?If you do already have a job, I'd have thought working for the 3 months would be quicker than starting from scratch with an EOI.

Thanks for the speady reply Mother Bear ?:D,

I was under the impression that we needed to wait 2 years before we can apply for PR through the Work to Residence policy. ?We would have lodged our EOI first, but we needed to get out to NZ quicker than we could have compiled the extra info needed to go through the EOI route.

Just as a matter of interest, why doesn't everyone apply for work to residence visas then apply for PR after 3 months (it seems a lot less hassle to do that don't you think??).

My husband will be working as a rural GP and I'll hopefully be working as a nurse once I get registered. ?Any further advice is always greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Hi Pjay1

by Pulsarblu on 22nd March 2006
    I applied for the Skilled Migrant Category without a job offer. NZIS could have approved my application but now they put my PR application on hold for 2 year and instead issued me with a 2 year WTR (Now 6 months on new policy). Using the WTR, I must proved myself that I can secure a skilled job for more than 3 months in two years before my PR can be finally approved.
    It was this sort of thing I found while hunting around for information on the subject. I found it rather curious that it would be as easy as that as a lot of people are quite put out at the thought of getting a WTR when they'd hoped for straight PR. I think the WTR visa is given to people who look like they might succeed in NZ but don't quite fullfil the NZIS' criteria for PR. It gives these people a chance to find and/or work in a job for 3 months to show they are employable and are willing and able to settle.

Anyway, not to worry. We have Pulsarblu, Maggiemoo and Chaffinch, to name but a few that have gone down the WTR route and I'm hoping they'll be able to put you straight on this. I'm going down a completely different route and am not fully conversant with the facts.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The difference between a WTR and directly gaining PR is that there is no guarantee you will be granted residency with a WTR, so can be more of a risky route to take. I expect thats why most people go for the PR directly, rather than moving country hoping to get PR from their WTR!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

I was under the impression that we needed to wait 2 years before we can apply for PR through the Work to Residence policy.
    I guess this is the sticking point and confuses me. Can anyone confirm whether you'd have to work the full 2 years and where the 3 months limit comes into it?

Mother Bear