Thread: work visa while waiting for residency

rhow1273 is offline Junior Member

Default work visa while waiting for residency

sooo stressed at the moment, can any 1 tell me if its possible to obtain a work visa even tho we are waiting for our residence visas.Sounds strange i know but things are taking longer than we first expected(see my other post on medical problems)we are completing the sale on our house next week and i have to start my job in wellington 1st week in september.I am willing to go alone and family follow me later but dont know what to do, HELP PLEASE.

pianist is offline Junior Member

So sorry to hear about your predicament...we went through something similar a month ago. In the US, the FBI does the background/fingerprint check for the PR applications and they were going to take six months to process that....we found out after the fact. My husband called Wellington and somehow got them to let us apply for a 6 month talent/work visa. We got the work visa in a little more than 2 weeks! We are still waiting for our PR in the meantime. Since you have a job waiting for you there, I would go ahead and bug them to let you apply for a work visa until the PR comes through...it can't hurt. Good luck!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

You may even be able to apply for a 12 month working holiday visa as this doesnt need any meds or anything and you can work temp/contract until your PR comes through?

We've got a 23month one and are thinking about applying for a WTR visa in a few months or so.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your dilema

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Yeah Immigrtion should be ok with that but if there's outstanding issues with med certs, it kind of throws it out of the window as these are required for a work visa also.
    The Working holiday visa thing Amy suggested would be pretty straight forward tho.

rhow1273 is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys, i will let you know what happens.

legba is offline Junior Member

Default Re: work visa while waiting for residency

Hi Mate,
    I AM VERY SURE YOU CAN APPLY FOR A WORK VISA/PERMIT WHILE WAITING FOR YOUR RESIDENCY.
    LIKE YOU HAVE SAID THOUGH U SAID U ARE TO START WORK VERY SOON. IF YOUR EMPLOYER WILL HELP IT SHOUDNT TAKE ANY MORE THAN 2WEEKS IF THAT IS NOT TOO LATE.
    I WAS IN YOUR SHOES COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO,BUT I HAVE MY WORK VISA/PERMIT NOW AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY PR.
    THE KEY AS FAR AS I KNOW IS THE WILLINGNESS OF YOUR EMPLOYER TO HELP.IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR FAMILY WANTS TO COME.ONCE YOU GET THERI ATTENTION YOU WILL ALL BE GIVEN BAM.
    ALL THE BEST

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

If you say you only need a work permit for 23 months, you won't need to do the meds. Thats what I did 2 years ago when we first got here (while waiting for our PR) on the advise of my case officer! :) Unless of course this has changed... worth checking out tho.

Cheers,
    Jod

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There have been quite a few changes in policy over the last year or so. ?It looks like you may need the medical after all now for the 23-month visas, according to this . ?Scroll down to the boxes.

It's really quite difficult keeping up to date with immigration matters these days as NZIS keep moving the goal posts. ? ::)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.