Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When does the WHV get activated?

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default When does the WHV get activated?

Hello,

My hubby and I are just waiting on our house to sell then we'll be applying for a WHV.

Unfortuntaly, I cant find any information on the Immi site as to when the WHV is activated...

Does anyone know when the Visa gets activated, is it when you rcv the Visa or is it when you reach NZ?

If anyone knows could you please let me know, we're getting a bit worried about it all as my hubby turns 31 in October and would ideally like to be across in NZ prior to that to allow us to get our WHV.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Lil Amy,

Welcome aboard.

I believe that once you enter NZ your WHV will be converted to a WHP (Working Holiday Permit) and I think it would then be activated at the same time. This is in line with a lot of the other visas, apart from the LTBV. Stevey's had a WHV for a while and is shortly due to leave for NZ, so he'd be the one to confirm this when he's next online.

Good luck for your new life in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Ac

Thanks Mother Bear,

That's what I thought might be the case, will just have to cross every finger and wish on every star that we can get the house sold before October... otherwise I might be coming across on my own :icon_biggrin:

Will be good to hear what happened with Stevie's WHV when he logs on.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Stevey's Visa is sitting on NZIS website at the moment and has been since December. I've just got to print it our and take it with me. Providing I activate it within a year, (which I will cos flights are booked) on arrival in NZ, my visa will be activated for a year.

Which one are you going for? The 24 or 12 month. You know you need X-Rays for the 24 month one right? Also you can only work for 12 of those.

Hi Stevey,

We plan to go for the 24 month WHV as I dont think Stu, my hubby would be able to extend a 12 month WHV with him being over the age of 30 once the 12 month one expires.

Do you have any plans to extend your WHV once it runs out?

I think we're going to play it by ear and wait until we've been out a year to decide what to do.

I just wish we were out there now, we're getting very impatient as we cant go for our Medicals until we know the house has sold as I think they only last for 3 months and within those three months you have to arrive in NZ...I think?

Blog Entries

I just wish we were out there now, we're getting very impatient as we cant go for our Medicals until we know the house has sold as I think they only last for 3 months and within those three months you have to arrive in NZ...I think?
    The medicals do only last for 3 months, but it's not that you have to arrive in NZ within that time, you just have to submit your ITA before the 3 months runs out.
    Mother Bear

Hi Mother Bear,

Would this apply for a WHV as well as I dont think you submit and ITA for WHV's?

There's so much to learn and know about all the different Visa's they should give us all degrees in them :icon_biggrin:

Blog Entries

Oh gawd, Lil Amy, I'm getting mixed up between different posts . Just put it down to the heat (40 deg.C at the mo and it's only Spring). No, of course you won't need to submit an ITA at this point.

There's so much to learn and know about all the different Visa's they should give us all degrees in them
    I have to agree with you about this. NZIS don't help matters by running an overly complicated site, which leads you on and on, but doesn't get you anywhere. And then they go and change the rules just to mess things up further. I've been trying to research this issue but feel I'm merely sinking into quicksand.

I can only assume that, once you have your medical done, you need to submit it with your application before the 3-month validity period is up or it will expire. Not being up to speed with applying via this route, I don't know whether you must submit the medical report with the initial application or whether NZIS will ask you for it as the application progresses, but, either way, I'm sure you only have to 'use' the medicals within 3 month, not that you have to get to NZ within that time after having it done.

In Stevey's case, if he has had to have a medical (and I haven't heard him mention one although he possibly applied for his WHV before the November 2005 amendments), he certainly hasn't raced over there within the 3 months, so I really don't think it is the case that you have to get to NZ within that time.

Stevey, sorry to keep quoting you, but you're going through the WHV system and will certainly know more about it than I do.
    Mother Bear

I dread to think what it will be like if we decide to stay on a permy basis in NZ and have to go through the EOI etc, we're getting one of the easier visas and I'm still lost with it all...

All I can say is thank gawd for sites like these as they've probably given more information than the immi site itself!

So good to hear stories from people who are going through or have gone through the same thing as what we are...

Lets hope the process doesn't change again before we apply!

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Stevey, sorry to keep quoting you, but you're going through the WHV system and will certainly know more about it than I do.
    Shut up, I'm already feeling inadequate about my contributions to the forum with you doubling my post count. I'm relieved as much as happy to be able to offer some constructive advice rather than endless insults hehe.

Amy (can I just call you that, I sound creepy if I address you by your full username [smiley=icon_eek.gif] )

Not sure about this extending lark. As I understand it, you can't extend the visa after 12 months if you just apply for a 12 month one. It's a case of either apply for a 24 month WHV from the start or go home after 12 months.
    All I meant was that if you apply for a 12 month visa (assuming you're from UK) you don't need any medicals and you can still work for 12 months. During which time, if it's great you can change it to a work permit or a PR application.
    If you apply for a 24 month one you have to have X-Rays and you can still only work for 12 of those 24 months, so unless you plan on touring around holidaying for 12 months it's really rather pointless going for the 24 month WHV. Just seemed a lot of hassle to me.

Now, if you do still go for 24 month WHV, check with NZIS on this one (it says on the website), but I think you only need X-Rays for TB risk/presence. Not a full blown medical. Pretty sure you don't need police checks either. Would you or anyone else who knows let me know if I'm wrong on this thread so people referencing will know my seemingly assertive posts are a complete fallacy [smiley=icon_redface.gif]

Hope this helps anyway, let us know what you decide in the end and don't be a stranger whilst you prepare. Glad the forums helping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast