Thread: Offered job all forms signed now what !!!!

happycows is offline Junior Member

Default Offered job all forms signed now what !!!!

Hi my husband came back from New Zealand after going out there for two weeks worth of interviews.
    He was offered a job as Opperations Manager on a Dairy Farm with a house etc. He has the employers forms all signed but we have hit a huge hole !!! My husband needs to be over there by mid JUne due to the cows starting to calve and start of Dairy season !!! But here in jolly UK it will take at least 4 to 6 months to sort out visa (work to residency) But we have been told it is far easier to apply for permit when over there and that it makes more sense to go back to New Zealand and apply for work permit while there !! The immergration lady my husband spoke to in New Zealand told him it was easy but not if in UK ?!?!?!?!?!?
    Poor cows can not cross thier legs and wait !! what shall we do ?!?!? :icon_confused:
    Any ideas or help wpuld be great :icon_lol:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Happycows,

Welcome to the forum.

As long as your husband?s new employer is on the accredited list of employers, I would think it would be much easier (and cheaper) for him to go through the formalities in NZ and it would be one way of securing the job. He could apply for a Work Permit as soon as he got there and NZIS would probably want to encourage him to start work a.s.a.p., especially given the circumstances. With a bit of luck they might get their fingers out with regard to issuing his permit. Sometimes it can only take a few days. This would allow him to work legally in NZ and he could progress on from there to applying for PR.

Having said that, applying from the UK with a job offer usually speeds things up no end, but I still think the mid-June deadline could still be out of reach. Good luck to him in his new job.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Love the cow !!

I love that cow ! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    My husbands employer is not on the list of accredited employers (we dont think ?) But husbands boss had words with immigration down in Plamerston North and they seemed to think best route given time limit for the poor cows was to hop over on tourist visa with his nedical and chest x ray in his little hand and apply for work permit there.
    I see you are in Muscat ! We have just left Saudi where husband was on 1800 cow Dairy Unit up in North Saudi about 40 mins from Hail.
    Loved everything about it met great people but living on a farm (not compound) and in VERY strict and conservative place my daughter and I found it quite hard. We had to cover our faces even if we went out of our front door on the farm.
    Still a great time and I would do it all again ! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh, nearly next door neighbours then! ?I would have loved to have given Saudi a go, but my husband?s already worked there a few times in the past and says he?d rather not go back. ?He works in the oil and gas industry and perhaps things have changed since he was last there. ?He hates the idea of them holding his passport, only being allowed to leave the country with a letter of permission, the fact that I probably wouldn?t be able to join him for several months and all the other restrictions that are involved. ?Of course, the areas he would find work in are now the subject of terrorist bombings so it?s not the best place to live at the moment. ?

We lived in Kuwait previously and that was rather restrictive, but it didn?t seem so bad as we still had a lot of fun and freedom there.

If you look at this link and scroll down, you?ll see something that might bring back a few memories. ? :D
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Brilliant you brought a smile to my face [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] My uncovered face hehehehe !!
    Yeah the passport bit was a real worry and it was definatley enclosed. We had our best time when we went to see Madain Salah (sister city to Petra)
    But I am soooooooo glad to be able to talk to strange men and walk around with T Shirts and shorts . Well in reality I havent got the legs for shorts and all the strange men run away ! [smiley=icon_frown.gif]
    Great photo I wil have to get my computer set up and send you some of mine (using parents house and PC as stuck with them while sorting stuff for New Zealand bless them [smiley=009.gif] I am 40 and still scrounging off them !!)

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Get over there quick on tourist visas and get down the local immigration office. I'm sure it will be fine and their laid back attitude (even if it is immigration it should still be a tad less formal) should help them to process it quickly. You need to get a shimmy on quick tho for middle of June considering you'll need x-rays etc.

moggy is offline God like figure

I am told that it is possible to get a work permit in a week, if all the paperwork is correct.
    Also I would say to get the medicals done once you are over there - I hear they are cheaper and more laid back about them.
    There is no hurry to apply for residency once he has a work permit as you would also be able to work as well.