Thread: Sending in passports

Cord72 is offline Junior Member

Default Sending in passports

I am leery to send my actual passport around the world in order to submit EOI or WV applications. This is because my family of 4 has already made travel plans for 3 month stay (and hopefully stick) for September 2006. Do they return by courier or regular post? I'm sure I read somewhere in the depths of immigration.govt.nz but I can't find it now.

Alternately I guess we'd wait til arrival to find work (hopefully) and apply for WV in person? I know the risks there, but am quite sure my wife can get work as a licensed hairstylist from the USA.

What is the timeline anyone out there has experienced with getting these docs back?

Thanks - Cord

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There?s been a couple of links on here previously about timings where return of passports are concerned. The responses were a bit of a mixed bag, but you can submit certified copies if need be, although obviously, when PR is granted, NZIS will need the originals to put the coveted blue stickers in. There's a link here and there's another one which I can't find at the mo due to limits on the search facility.

What you say about travelling to NZ and then looking for work is what quite a lot of people are doing if they can't get into NZ any other way. It's often much easier to get a job once you are there because employers can meet you face to face and are also encouraged that you have made the trip to NZ to look for work.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Great Stuff thanks for the threads! and your input is appreciated. Having friends to stay with also helps the decision to do it this way. Taking the whole family of 4 is the big step!

There is a process for extending the VV time from 3 to 9 months, as I have read. And I don't even plan to get a VV, as USA is not necc, right?

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I'd recommend sending them a certified copy of your passport, just to reduce the headache of getting the original back. When I sent ours in with the PR application, I mentioned in the cover letter that we needed them in 3 months. After waiting a while, I pestered them, and eventually got all our originals back in time. But waiting was no fun. So far as I could tell, they just mailed them back without any fancy mail categories.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

That is exactly what I don't want to happen. If I buggered up my trip to NZ I could sleep at night. But the whole family has to start with a leg to Montego Bay Jamaica for sister in laws wedding. And I cant miss that without hearing the never-end of it!

Cord