Thread: WHV to Residency - uppppppppps how do I go about t

Maka is offline Member

Default WHV to Residency - uppppppppps how do I go about t

Hi guys,

I am in a very peculiar situation and would like to ask you for your opinion.

I came to NZ (Auckland) on WHV and got permanent employment (I am not supposed to). After working here for 2 months, I have I applied for residency providing NZIS with my contract (permanent employment). They adviced me about processing my application without pointing out that I am not supposed to engage in permanent employment.

Legally, I have one more month to work for my employer as WHV for Czech Republic has 3 months - one employer limitation.

In the letter from NZIS, there is 3-6 months period stated as the most likely timeframe to deal with my residency application.
    I have 150 points - not sure if that can speed it up ??

I see these options: [smiley=icon_question.gif] [smiley=icon_question.gif] [smiley=icon_question.gif]

1. Wait what happens and hope they will turn a blind eye on 3 months, permanent employment thing under WHV
    2. Apply for work wisa for interim period (as it might take 60 days, I am not sure if that helps)
    3. Calll my officer and discuss what is the best and lawfull process to follow 9 I called her before, she wasn't very helpful [smiley=icon_frown.gif] )

What do you think is the best option????? [smiley=icon_confused.gif]

thanks.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default WHV to Residency - uppppppppps how do I go about this?

Hi Maka,

To remain legal in the interim, it may be worth applying for a work permit. What some people find is that if you approach your local immigration office, explain that you are in the midst of an application for residency, but you are currently working on a WHV. In most cases like this, they will issue you with a work permit within a few days so that you can continue working.

If they say it will take up to the 60 days irrespective of your residency application, then you can either still roll with the permit application, or just ride it out on your WHV. I've never heard a case of someone being in trouble for over-working on a WHV.

My personal recommendation would be to apply for a work permit though, to keep within the legal boundaries.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default WHV to Residency - uppppppppps how do I go about t

I agree with Taffy (as ever, he is the oracle 8-) )

Probably not a great foot to start of with, fiddling the country after 3 months there hehe. I see your predicament but am sure that they will be leniant in getting you a work visa quickly so that you can continue contributing to their country.
    Option 2 definitely [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

Maka is offline Member

Default WHV to Residency - uppppppppps how do I go about this?

Hi guys,

thanks a lot. That is really helpful. I'll speak to my officer and try to get work wisa quickly to be within legal limits.

Cheers