Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visas and Teaching jobs

Brian is offline Junior Member

Default Visas and Teaching jobs

Hi,

I am 30 years old and will be finished my BSc. and BEd. in April 2006.

I would like to get a job teaching in NZ starting Jan 2007.

I will be coming from Canada and have been told the best thing to do is go to NZ in Sept to start looking for a job.

It may take a few months to find work.

I would have to find a part-time job until i found one teaching. this might take until jan until i find a job teaching.

What kind of visa would i apply for without any job offer?

thanks

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Brian,

As you will be around 32 years old by 2007, you can only get a visitors permit without a job offer, if you wish to leave for NZ immediately. You will have just missed the upper age limit for a working holiday visa, which would have allowed you to get a temporary job. Once you find a job, you can then apply for a work permit, or residency of course.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

would a work to residence scheme allow me to stay in the country and work a part-time job until i find an actual teaching job?

i plan on arriving in sept 2006 and figure it might take up until jan-feb to get a job.

thanks,
    brian

Blog Entries

I believe for the WTR, your job must be full time skilled employment in order to qualify, the only exception being when you are offered this visa as part of a normal permanent residency application. You would also need to have medicals and a police background check done for this visa.

Probably the best route it to come on a visitors permit, find a job, apply for a work permit and then sort out a teaching job and PR.

One other problem is it's also election day here on Saturday, so immigration rules could well be changing soon!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ok, so the NZ High Commission here in Canada hasn't been too helpful unfortunately. i've emailed them twice and both times have not answered my question.

Does anyone know if you can apply for a working holiday visa while you are 30 but only use it when you go to nz and have already turned 31?

i.e. i am 30 now and turn 31 in feb of 2006 and only plan on going to nz in sept of 2006 to look for a teaching job. i need this type of visa to get replacement work until i am offered a full/part time job.

thank you so much!
    brian

Blog Entries

Ohh, this happened to another member some time ago. He was 30 when he applied for a WHV and didn't leave for NZ until he was 31. That was only a few weeks difference though, rather than several months as you are wanting.

I suppose if you apply for the visa and it gets granted, then there wouldnt be a problem with you coming to NZ. After all, the visa is valid for 12 months!
    Taffy

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Hey Guys

That would have probably have been me! And you shouldn;t have any problems at all with the WHV.

I applied and got straight away, a WHV when I was 30 years and 10 months old. I entered New Zealand when I was 31 years and 8 months old, and there was absolutely no problem at all.

If the WHV timeframe works for you, get one, and just get on a plane and get out here. Register with supply agencies, work will follow easily, and then go for a permanent job based on the few months of teaching experience you have in NZ.

It shouldn't be that difficult - but maybe only in Auckland.

douggagnon is offline Junior Member

Hello All,

My name is Doug, and I just bought my 1 way tickey to Auckland yesterday, scheduled to arrive in Auckland on the 27th of January.

I just finished up a MA in teaching at Cornell here in the US. I am about to apply for a WHV, and I am sending out CV's to all possible science and math teaching positions in NZ.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice/encouragent/etc as to the chances I have of finding a teaching position for the upcoming schoolyear without holding NZ certification. I am willing to go anywhere in NZ, but I assume my best chance lies in Auckland.

Thankful for any input,

Doug

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you've hit us at a very quiet time with nearly everyone still off celebrating the tail end of Christmas. If you've already booked your flight to NZ and are eligible for a WHV, you should be in a good position to tour around the various schools in person, looking for work. You may be taken more seriously because you are already in NZ and you could get lucky. I'm not sure how you'd stand with not having NZ certification though, so I hope some of the others will be able to help you out on this. Here's a site about teaching in NZ, if you haven't already seen it TeachNZ which may provide some leads for you. Good luck, anyway.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

stanleiyjoan is offline Junior Member

Default Student Visa Details

Hi

I am G. Jenma Rakini from India arrived to NZ on 5th July 2009 based on student visa valid up to 30th August 2010. My husband has also accompanied me based on an open work permit valid up to 31st October 2010.

I was initially admitted to the Master of International Business Programme which is an eighteen months course – [ start date 29th June 2009] at the university of Auckland, based on this my husband has received one year valid work visa, after completion of this course I will get the work visa. Now I have changed my course by taking up Diploma of Information Technology in Compute power [ Starting date Aug 3rd 2009 – Closing date 30th Sep 2010] which is an level 7 course.

This falls under the long term skilled category. Now, I would like to know the answer for the following queries.

1. Whether I need to fill up the variations of conditions forms or the fresh student visa application.
    2. whether my husband’s work visa will remain unchanged and unexpected.

Please clarify the same and do the needful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast