Thread: Resident Visa

whoam1 is offline Junior Member

Default Resident Visa

Hi, I just got my resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category.
    Since currently I have yet to get any job offer, in case if I cannot find a relevant skill job in New Zealand, is it still possible for me to convert to Permanent Resident after 2 years working in New Zealand? e.g. If i can only get a job as an admin or even a dishwasher and work for 2 years, can I still apply for PR?

Srivatsa is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whoam1 View Post
    Hi, I just got my resident visa under Skilled Migrant Category.
    Since currently I have yet to get any job offer, in case if I cannot find a relevant skill job in New Zealand, is it still possible for me to convert to Permanent Resident after 2 years working in New Zealand? e.g. If i can only get a job as an admin or even a dishwasher and work for 2 years, can I still apply for PR?
    Congrats on your Residence Visa. Yes, you can still apply for PR after 2 years. Please see this link below for the PR Requirements:

Requirements for a permanent resident visa

BTW, under which profession have you applied for the Visa?

Quote Originally Posted by Srivatsa View Post
    Congrats on your Residence Visa. Yes, you can still apply for PR after 2 years. Please see this link below for the PR Requirements:

Requirements for a permanent resident visa

BTW, under which profession have you applied for the Visa?
    Hi Srivatsa,
    I applied for the visa under ICT professional, have been a backend web developer for quite many years. My friend told me that as long as I get employed for certain period I can convert to PR, but I was pretty confused on what I read on:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rant/accepted/

Resident visa conditions
    If you were granted a resident visa, you must still meet some requirements to ensure you remain a New Zealand resident.
    • If you gained points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of your first entry into New Zealand. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence of having done so.
    • If you gained points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job for a minimum of three months.

You will also have to show that you have the money available to purchase tickets to your home country should you have to leave New Zealand.

Srivatsa is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whoam1 View Post
    Hi Srivatsa,
    I applied for the visa under ICT professional, have been a backend web developer for quite many years. My friend told me that as long as I get employed for certain period I can convert to PR, but I was pretty confused on what I read on:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rant/accepted/

Resident visa conditions
    If you were granted a resident visa, you must still meet some requirements to ensure you remain a New Zealand resident.
    • If you gained points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of your first entry into New Zealand. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence of having done so.
    • If you gained points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job for a minimum of three months.

You will also have to show that you have the money available to purchase tickets to your home country should you have to leave New Zealand.
    That depends on if the Visa was actually granted on either of those two conditions. Since you do not have a job offer and still granted a Visa, those conditions do not apply. This is the same case with me. So the only condition to get a PR after 2 years is that we should spend at least 6 months each year in NZ(total of 1 year).

I am also an ICT professional(C++/C#) and flying to Auckland on May 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by Srivatsa View Post
    That depends on if the Visa was actually granted on either of those two conditions. Since you do not have a job offer and still granted a Visa, those conditions do not apply. This is the same case with me. So the only condition to get a PR after 2 years is that we should spend at least 6 months each year in NZ(total of 1 year).

I am also an ICT professional(C++/C#) and flying to Auckland on May 14th.
    Cool. Thanks for the reply! Now I feel so much relief. I am thinking of going over there around Aug, still sorting out my things. Hope you and family can get used to the environment soon. Keep us updated over the forum when you have the time. :P

edeland is offline Junior Member

Default Is this still accurate?

Hello fellow Ex-Pats or Soon-to-Be:
    Reading through this stream of questions, I see his question was last asked 3 years ago. Is this still true? If granted a residency visa before getting a job, one can still obtain PR after 2 years regardless if a job is obtained in the shortage skill field?

Thanks for clarifying.
    J & T