Thread: Help with Work to Residency/Work Permit Extension

sassi_lou is offline Junior Member

Default Help with Work to Residency/Work Permit Extension

Hi,

I've been in New Zealand since January 2011 on firstly a WHV now on a temporary work permit until Decmber 2012 and I'm looking for my options to extend it. So far I've found a couple of options but seem to miss out on 1 requirement each time and wonder if you can help me.

My current work permit is through an accredited employer and we proved at the time that no NZ residents/citizens were able to fill the job due to a recent change with computer systems where the company were not willing to train new staff on something that would be obsolete within 6 months or so. The visa was only approved for a year and the reason given is no longer valid as we recently hired 3 new staff in my team.

Talent Accredited Employer - I have a full time (40hrs a week) permanent job offer with an accredited employer but my base salary doesnt meet the requirements. However the General Manager of the business (National NZ company) has offered to write a personal letter to Immigration as to why they want to keep me.

Residence From Work - I began working on 8th Feb 2011 and would continue to work for my full two years as required but my current visa ends on 23rd Dec 2012, 6 weeks short of 2 years! Does anyone know if there is any leeway on this if I can prove my contract is permanent rather than for a fixed period?

Skilled Migrant - I'm not a skilled migrant although I have a Bsc Hons degree because I have no work experience or intent to work in that field anymore. However when doing the points check I get 130 without answering yes to any of the work related questions, can I put in an EOI?

Partnership - As of next week I will have been in a genuine and stable relationship with a NZ Citizen (born and raised here) for 12 months, however we arent living together. We would love to but its just not something we are able to afford at the moment - I've got a bargain room near work but too small for 2 and he's had to move in with family due to recent changes in work situation (still employed but massive pay cut due to changing from night to day shift). If we can supply evidence that we do spent all our weekends and some week nights together along with all the other requirements do you think that this would suffice?

Sorry for the essay but I seem to keep hitting dead ends here and I really dont want to have to leave! I'm just hoping there is something I'm missing or a loop hole someone knows about. If it helps I'm a UK citizen, 28 (almost 29) with no dependants and I do have some family here - aunt, uncle and 5 cousins...

Thank you for any help you can give me :)
    Last edited by sassi_lou; 04-07-2012 at 09:18 PM.

RikkeSimone is offline Junior Member

Dear Sassi,

I believe it will still be a good way to go through your partnership; if you have enough documentation and a respektable explanation for why you don't live together I definitely think it's an opportunity.

I don't understand though why it's not possible for you to live with your partner, when you both got work??

In your Application will you also have the opportunity to state you already got work in the country.

I have seen others who got the visa even though they didn't lived together, but personally would I even live with my partner in a small area to make sure immigration takes it seriously. I live with mine in actually only one rented room, and a really tiny bedroom in a single bed: which is okay for now after 8 months with living together: we cuddle up anyway. We have just applied for a temp working visa ourselves.

I wish you the best of luck, but I think that's the most secure way to go.
    - make sure to have a lot of references, have pics of your Facebooks, messages between you through FB, Skype, MSN, Texts - anything there can tell about the duration of how long you have been together.
    Last edited by RikkeSimone; 07-07-2012 at 04:34 PM.

smegle is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sassi_lou View Post

Skilled Migrant - I'm not a skilled migrant although I have a Bsc Hons degree because I have no work experience or intent to work in that field anymore. However when doing the points check I get 130 without answering yes to any of the work related questions, can I put in an EOI?
    Has anyone got experience with EOI and not being a skilled migrant?

I score high as well without answering yes to the work related questions...