Thread: visa help

Laura_Jayne_M is offline Junior Member

Default visa help

Hi

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice re. visa's?

I am in the UK at the moment and I have been offered a permanent job in Auckland which I am due to start in the middle of July. I was planning to apply for a temp visa (apparently as my job is ANZCO skill level 1 I can apply for a 5 year work visa), but after having my medical last week I have been advised that there could be a chance of delay because 1. my BMI is 39, 2. I have PCOS 3. my cholesterol was 5 (should be less than 5 apparently) and 4. one of my LFTs was a tiny bit higher than normal . . . I have discussed the potential for delay with my new employer but have been told that the start date is not flexible so I have to be available by that date. Obviously I'm panicking now incase my medical delays things and I lose my offer. (I already used a working holiday visa a few years back so unfortunately that is not an option).

So . . I was wondering how likely do you think it is that my visa will be approved in time to get out to NZ in July? (I am on a weight loss program but not sure if i can lose enough in this time period to get below BMI 35). Alternatively, am I allowed to apply for a <12 month visa (to avoid the medical for now), if the job offer I have is a permanent one?

Any other ideas greatly accepted!

Thanks, Laura

asifamin is offline Junior Member

Default Visa Help

Hi
    Don't be panic.
    You need to be bit more fast to overcome the delays. Have you file your visa application yet?
    Beside, i will discuss with one of my friend to overcome BMI,PCOS and LFT thing to see what advice will he give me.
    Cheers
    Asif
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne_M View Post
    Hi

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice re. visa's?

I am in the UK at the moment and I have been offered a permanent job in Auckland which I am due to start in the middle of July. I was planning to apply for a temp visa (apparently as my job is ANZCO skill level 1 I can apply for a 5 year work visa), but after having my medical last week I have been advised that there could be a chance of delay because 1. my BMI is 39, 2. I have PCOS 3. my cholesterol was 5 (should be less than 5 apparently) and 4. one of my LFTs was a tiny bit higher than normal . . . I have discussed the potential for delay with my new employer but have been told that the start date is not flexible so I have to be available by that date. Obviously I'm panicking now incase my medical delays things and I lose my offer. (I already used a working holiday visa a few years back so unfortunately that is not an option).

So . . I was wondering how likely do you think it is that my visa will be approved in time to get out to NZ in July? (I am on a weight loss program but not sure if i can lose enough in this time period to get below BMI 35). Alternatively, am I allowed to apply for a <12 month visa (to avoid the medical for now), if the job offer I have is a permanent one?

Any other ideas greatly accepted!

Thanks, Laura

Thanks Asif, thats very kind of you.

I'm getting my LFTs repeated this week in the hope that they might have reduced so as soon as I get these results back I will be sending my visa application off.

Fingers crossed!
    Laura

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

To what extent your medical results will affect your application depends on whether the different conditions will, in time, 'impose a finanacial and physical burden' on the NZ health service, which is what they are worried about. Cholesterol, for example, can be easily brought under control with diet in the first instance or simple, readily-available medication so that's not a problem especially as your result is really not that bad at all. As you say, the BMI issue could take a while to resolve but letting INZ know you are already on a weight-loss programme may be helpful. With this, I guess they are worried about things like diabetes developing. I can't really comment on the LFT result but, from what you say, it doesn't sound drastically high so may be overlooked if there is nothing else pointing to a more serious condition.

Below I've posted the Accepted Standard of Health item from INZ's Operational Manual which lists some of the conditions which would definately rule out getting residency or a long term work visa. Some conditions that pose a threat, but may be controlled in some way can be dealt with by way of a medical waiver. Other than that, in your case, it may just be that INZ is playing safe and may want to make sure that your health isn't going to pose a worsening threat in the future. Just because you have a few medical issues doesn't mean you are automatically disqualified from getting a visa. Timing with INZ, though, is a different matter and it would be best if they are fully aware you have a time limit on your job offer so they can decide whether to expedite matters so you can take up your offer. Doing whatever you can, like being re-tested ahead of time, can only be helpful in hurrying things up.

A4.10 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for residence)

Applicants for residence class visas must have an acceptable standard of health unless they have been granted a medical waiver. An application for a residence class visa must be declined if any person included in that application is assessed as not having an acceptable standard of health and a medical waiver is not granted (see A4.60).

Applicants for residence class visas are considered to have an acceptable standard of health if they are:
    unlikely to be a danger to public health; and
    unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services or special education services; and
    able to undertake the work on the basis of which they are applying for a visa, or which is a requirement for the grant of the visa.

The conditions listed in A4.10.1 are considered to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or special education services. Where an immigration officer is satisfied (as a result of advice from an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor) that an applicant has one of the listed conditions, that applicant will be assessed as not having an acceptable standard of health.

If an immigration officer is not initially satisfied that an applicant for a residence class visa has an acceptable standard of health, they must refer the matter for assessment to an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor (or the Ministry of Education as appropriate).

Despite (d) above, referral to an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor (or the Ministry of Education) is not required where the applicant is the partner or dependent child of a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder, unless the provisions of A4.60(a) or A4.60(c) apply.

Note: These instructions do not apply to residents and former residents applying for a permanent resident visa or a second or a subsequent resident visa.
    A4.10.1 Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or education services

HIV infection
    Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
    Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
    Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment

Exceptions are:
    treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
    malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years
    Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
    Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
    Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
    Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimer's and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
    Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
    Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
    Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
    Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.
    A4.10.2 Assessment of whether an applicant for a residence class visa is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services

The requirement that an applicant for a residence class visa must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of $25,000. Note: Assessment will be in terms of current costs with no inflation adjustment.

In the case of acute medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000 within a period of four years from the date the assessment against health requirements is made.

In the case of chronic recurring medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether, over the predicted course of the condition or group of conditions, there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000.

A4.10.5 Assessment of whether an applicant for a residence class visa is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's special education services

The requirement that an applicant for a residence class visa must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's special education services is not met if the Ministry of Education (MoE) has determined that there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's physical, intellectual, or sensory condition or their use of language and social communication would entitle them to Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) funding.

A4.10.10 Assessment of whether an applicant for a residence class visa is unlikely to impose significant demands on New Zealand's health services

The requirement that an applicant must be unlikely to impose significant demands on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services for which the current demand in New Zealand is not being met.

Good luck and don't panic! Things may not be as bad as you think.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post

Good luck and don't panic! Things may not be as bad as you think.

Thanks MotherBear - thats very reassuring :) I just want this so badly and I don't want anything to stand in the way of my dream! I'll make sure I mention the deadline of my start date when I send my application off.

Thanks,
    Laura

Dharma is offline Junior Member

Default Work visa medical refered to MA

Hi

I'm new to this forum. I have applied for visa under essential skills, and my medical report show abnormal eosnophil count (5.3) while normal is 0.5. Its been reffered to MA by my CO. I have been left with very less time to join my employer. I'm really worried and having sleepless nights.

Anybody's prior experience and advise on processing time.. / similar situation would give me peace of mind.

THanks