Thread: Applying for Graduate Work Experience visa

kryptonite is offline Junior Member

Default Applying for Graduate Work Experience visa

I am currently on Graduate Job Search visa and also have a job in the field of my qualification. I am an IT Contract consultant (self employed) and currently hold a 3 month contract in an IT consulting company. My employer is willing to provide me with 2 or even 3 year contract for me so that I would work for him for long time.

I went through Graduate work experience visa requirements which says I must have a full time job offer. My question is does this full time job offer relate to
    permanent employment, or can self employment (as in my case) is also valid ? As I am employed by consulting company, I am not working there directly but
    for their clients onsite. I get paid according to the number of hours I spent working each month.

Also my employer is kind of encouraging me to apply for residence here. So, I have some questions:

1) Can I apply for Graduate work experience visa under self employment ? If yes, will there be any conditions attached to my visa that I can only work for this employer? Can I change employment if I get good offers from other employers ?

2) Can I apply for residence with this job offer while I am on graduate job search visa ? or will I have to get graduate work experience visa first?

Regards,
    Sandeep

PEO
    PEO is offline Junior Member

Hi Sandeep,
    I am also in your situation in near future. My back ground also IT but I am studing business administration in here. What did you studied in NZ. Hope if we can share our knowledge both of can find a solution.
    Regards,
    PEO

kryptonite is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Hi Sandeep,
    I am also in your situation in near future. My back ground also IT but I am studing business administration in here. What did you studied in NZ. Hope if we can share our knowledge both of can find a solution.
    Regards,
    PEO
    Hi PEO,

I studied IT ( Postgradaute Diploma in Computing ) here in NZ. For me, my work is related to my NZ qualification. I think you might need to have work related to your NZ qualification.

Anyone who had an idea about my questions? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Sandeep

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Reading the below, it seems to imply that it goes on your qualification rather than work experience but, at the same time, it sounds like your employer would need to provide the long term job offer although it doesn't specify whether it can be as a self-employed person.

Graduating students - study to work visas

If you have a vacancy which is suitable for a graduate, the Study to Work category enables you to employ graduates and trainees who have been studying in New Zealand.
    Initially, the graduate can hold a twelve-month Graduate Job Search visa, which enables them to start working in any job for any employer.
    If you provide the graduate with a long term skilled job offer that is relevant to their qualification, they can apply for a Graduate Work Experience visa for two years.

From here,

It appears that you wouldn't be able to apply directly for residency if you are self-employed.

Self-employed?

You cannot claim points for skilled employment if the position is self-employed. If you are, or will be, self-employed and wish to gain residence, you may be eligible under one of our business categories.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.